Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I have an older home that has the two prong outlets with no…

Hello, I have an...

Hello, I have an older home that has the two prong outlets with no ground. If the breaker is GFCI, do I need to still use GFCI a three prong outlets?

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Since I purchased the house

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I don’t believe so

3/11/2018
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC General Class License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

Please be patient as it takes time to type and provide links. Also note that the website may be sending you a telephone offer, the offer is not originating from me.

1) If the breaker is a GFCI type, you can use regular 3 prong grounded receptacles downstream, but each receptacle will need to be labeled as "GFCI protected and no ground".

2) You do not need individual GFCI receptacles. You only require standard 3 prong duplex receptacles. As long as the breaker is a GFCI type, all of the downstream receptacles will be GFCI protected.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor

Thank you for the positive service rating............much appreciated!

If you have any other questions, just let me know.

Take care and have a great day............Thanks again............Kevin:)