Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Im wiring 2 - 3 way switches so when i am downstairs the…

Im wiring 2 -...

Im wiring 2 - 3 way switches so when i am downstairs the light upstairs goes on but not the one downstairs and same from upstairs. Both lights need to be off most of the time. I hope I am saying this correctly. Can you please help me with the wiring set up?

Contractor's Assistant: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?

New wiring. No. Havent consulted an electrician

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

We have wired many other 3 way switches but this one is different because both upstairscand downstairs have to work independently

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/11/2018
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

Please be patient as it takes time to type and provide links. Also note that the website may be sending you a telephone offer, the offer is not originating from me.

1) Shown in the link below is a 3-way switching diagram. Do you have the switches wired per the diagram?

Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
That is for 1 light. I have 2. One up and 1 down. 2 switches up stairs and 2 down. Each has to work so both can be used weather Im up or down.
Phone call session started