Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I’m installing a ceiling fan that has a black and wire, but…

Customer Question
I’m installing a ceiling...

I’m installing a ceiling fan that has a black and white wire, but the outlet box has black , white and RED wires. I connected the black and white as the directions said but have no power. The wall switch Does work. What do I do with the red wire?

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Just found it doesn’t work, 20 minutes ago

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not that I know of

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Electrical
3/10/2018
Electrician: George Smith, Master Electrician replied 4 months ago
George Smith
George Smith, Master Electrician

Thanks for counting on us to help with your electrical issue. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! Let me review your question!

If you take the switch out of the wall you probably will see that the red wire is connected to the switch!

Do you have a two probe electrical tester?

No I don’t
Forget it you guys were no help at all. What a scam

Ok ! To be sure you need to look at the switch! !

Electrician: canuck the pro, Handyman replied 4 months ago
canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Handyman

Hi my name is ***** ***** I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. How many light switches are there for the room? Does the light or fan turn on now with the switch?