Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Door opener will not run more than 2 seconds ,then u have to…

Customer Question
Door opener will not...

Door opener will not run more than 2 seconds ,then u have to unplug wait then plug back in for the same results

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Day

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Electrical
3/10/2018
Electrician: David Bowden, Electrician replied 1 month ago
David Bowden
David Bowden, Electrician

Hello and welcome to Just Answer… My name is ***** ***** allow me a few moments while I do some research, my recommendation will appear shortly.

Going up or going down?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Does not matter

3 possibly 4 things come to mind to check and verify are working correctly.

1. Verify the the opener is not binding or bending when opening or closing as this will stop it immediately

2. If not binding, check the sensitivity switches as they tend to "walk" over time and can become too sensitive causing the opener to stop

3. Verify the travel limit switch is in the correct place and not being tripped prematurely

4. Check the safety beam sensors and make sure they are not out of alignment or blocked causing the problem

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
U do realize that I have to unplug the unit and then plug back in correct

Yes and everything I listed is electrically related which may be causing the short run intervals. if it isn't something simple that can be checked by you, then the problem is going to be deeper and will require a garage door service tech to diagnose and determine what is the problem and whether it is better to repair or replace.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok the opener is unlatched and not picking up the door at all and does the same thing

Okay so that eliminates items 1 and probably 3 above, do you see a solid safety beam or does it blink? And have you tried increasing the down or up force to see if the unit will operate? If the beam is steady then the problem is going to be the motor or circuit board causing the problem

Greetings… Just following up to see if you were still needing some help answering your question?

Thanks,

Dave

Hello...

I am not sure if you have been receiving my follow up messages regarding this question however, if you would be so kind as to please respond and let me know if the information I provided initially was helpful or if you still require some assistance, I would sincerely ***** ***** that way I can either continue helping you or forward this to customer support for further processing.

Thank you very much,

Dave

Electrician: David Bowden, Electrician replied 24 days ago

Hello... As part of our continuous follow up procedures, every open question requires it to be closed out once it has gone past a reasonable time, and that the expert has provided an answer that should have helped resolve your question. This can be done simply by completing the 5 Star Rating once it appears. If you still require assistance or have additional questions, you can let the expert know by replying to this posting that you still need their advice and recommendations.

Thank you,

Dave

David Bowden
David Bowden
David Bowden, Electrician