Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Does a room with two entrances require both entrances to…

Does a room with...

Does a room with two entrances require both entrances to have a light switch at them?

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Just recently

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

It's new construction and I'm wiring the house myself. I just have a little bit of confusion on the whole path to light requirement

Contractor's Assistant: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?

System is brand new. And I am the electrician.

3/10/2018
David Bowden
David Bowden, Electrician

Hello and welcome to Just Answer… My name is ***** ***** allow me a few moments while I do some research, my recommendation will appear shortly.

Only one switch is required, however for convenience you might want to install at the ingress and egress pathways.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What if I have more than two entrances from the outside. Does that matter?

NEC code is non specific on design issues, code says the switch must be within line of sight. In reality you can install 100 switches to control 1 light, but as I mentioned it is more for convenience on how you want to control the light through ingress and egress, most homes with multiple entry/exit paths have multiple switches (3 ways) controlling the lights in that room, i.e. long hallways, kitchens, etc.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. Thanks

You are most welcome...

One of the goals here at Just Answer, is to provide each customer with the best experience possible and for the experts to earn a 5 Star Rating based on their responses, recommendations, and professionalism, when answering questions. If I have achieved that goal for this question, please take a few moments to rate my service and select the 5 Stars before logging out.

It has been my pleasure providing an answer for you today, however if additional service is needed, please use the reply box to let me know and I will respond back once I have the requested information.

Enjoy the rest of your day,

Dave

David Bowden
David Bowden, Electrician
David Bowden
David Bowden
David Bowden, Electrician