Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I have a carbon monoxide detector plugged into a wall outlet…

I have a carbon monoxide...
I have a carbon monoxide detector plugged into a wall outlet and it has been beeping. I replaced the battery but it still beeps. Do I need to replace the whole unit or is there something I'm missing?
3/10/2018
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

Please be patient as it takes time to type and provide links. Also note that the website may be sending you a telephone offer, the offer is not originating from me.

1) Can you plug the detector into another nearby wall receptacle? Does it still beep?

2) Look at the label on the back of the detector? How old is the detector?

1) Is the heating system a gas forced air furnace?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
forced air
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
still beeps if I plug it in somewhere else.

Thanks for the replies.

1) What is the age of the detector?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will look at date of detector. does the whole thing need to be replaced or can I replace just part of it?

1) CO detectors do not have any internal components to replace. If a defective detector, then entire unit must be replaced.

2) It is possible that the detector may be defective or there may be actual CO in the area. Possibly an issue with the gas furnace? For safety reasons, I recommend that you open up the windows to ventilate the area and turn off any gas valves on all gas appliances including the furnace. Evacuate to the exterior of the home and call 911 ASAP and get the local fire department to the home. Also contact a local HVAC technician ASAP to check out the furnace. You don't know if the CO is defective or sending out an erroneous beep or if there is CO present. For safety reasons, the fire department and a local HVAC technician both need to be contacted ASAP.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thanks Kevin. it's not beeping like crazy so sounds like I just need a new one.

OK, No problem, just wanted to make sure you stay safe. Yes, I recommend to purchase a replacement CO unit.

Take care and thanks..........Kevin:)

Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Kevin
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor