Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Im hoping to get a list of materials for a 100Amp 240V

Hello! im hoping to...

Hello! im hoping to get a list of materials for a 100Amp 240V service, i need all the material required from the drip loop to the distribution panel if possible!

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

A while just want to make sure i get evrything needed for the job

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No but i am purchasing the material so i need to know everything to get

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

If you could include everything from the drip loop to the distribution panel that would be great!\

3/9/2018
George Smith
George Smith, Master Electrician

Thanks for counting on us to help with your electrical issue. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! Let me review your question!

Fantastic thank you! i am in ontario so it must be up to code, not sure if that makes a difference for material

Sorry ! I'll opt out of this question, Canada codes are different the the states!

Chris Parson
I'd like to offer you a phone call so you can write it all down.
Okay great tomorrow work?
that is fine. Tell me what time it is there right now and what time I need to request the service.
7:07pm and tonorrow around 11am?
Okay sounds good
I'm sorry it's so late. I have a list put together here of materials and I have a list of wire types and stuff you will need. There isn't a need of having to call because it will just charge you more money.
1-100 amp MLO 120/240 volt 4 circuit load center with equipment grounding bar in addition to neutral bar2-15 amp 1 pole breakers2-20 amp 1 pole breaker1-20 amp 2 pole breaker4-4" x 1½" square metallic boxes with ½" knock outs5-Single-gang nonmetallic box, nail-type1-Double-gang nonmetallic box, nail-type2-Round nonmetallic boxes, nail-type2-Metallic utility boxes with ½" knock outs (Handy Box)2-4" Metallic octagonal boxes with internal clamps2-Expandable bar-hangers to fit octagon boxes2-Single-pole switch with screw terminals only*2-Three-way switch with screw terminals only*1-Four-way switch with screw terminals only*5-15 amp 110 volt duplex receptacle with screw terminals only1-20 amp GFCI receptacle1-20 amp 220 volt single receptacle with screw terminals only1-Raised receptacle cover (duplex)1-Raised GFCI cover (single-gang) for 4" square box
2-Keyless lampholders16-½" EMT set-screw connecters with lock-nuts16-½" EMT one hole straps3'-#8-3 w/g NM Cable to use as service entry cable (SE preferred)1- NM adapter to fit #8-4 Cable above30'-#14 THHN white solid30'-#14 THHN red solid30'-#14 THHN black solid30'-#14 THHN green solid40'-12-2 NM WG30'-12-3 NM WG15'-12-4 NM WG16-NM connectorsBox-NM staples10-Ground screws (10-32 RHMS)24-16-penny nails30-#10X5/8 pan head sheet metal screws15-Red "wirenut" wire splices15-Yellow "wirenut" wire splices12-Green "wirenut" grounding wire splices
I was checking to see if you were pleased with your answer?
I need from the where the drip loop comes to the weather head coming to the breaker panel like the picture i sent i need all the material like the weather head, the mast and all the pieces

You will need a 2" weather head, 2" rigid conduit, a 2" rigid conduit strap for your riser, are you okay with me sending you a PDF file that will show a demonstration?

Yep!

Take a look at the PDF and tell me if it helps you any.

okay so couple questions, its a 100Amp 240v service, what would the two fuses in the meter base be rated at? and if the meter base is 9' from the distribution panel do we need a disconnect or anything closer to the meter base?
what parts are used to connect the 63-mm rigid steel mast to the meter base? and then after the meter base what parts are needed to get from the meter base to the distribution panel which is 9' away?
after the meter base, should pvc be used or rigid steel continued? and this has to be up to code for ontario
Your basic 350 amp fuses will work fine. No you do not have to disconnect anything. They make a coupling that will attach the mast to the meter base ( they can be purchased anywhere) from the meter base to panel you can use PVC and PVC after the meter base
if its a 100Amp serivce why would they both be 350Amp? just wondering
what is that coupling called?
Okay so bare with me this could be a bit long, but im putting together a list for the 100Amp service i need all the material from the drip loop all the way to the distribution panel, so i have,
63-mm cast weather head to 63-mm Rigid steel conduit, (do i need anything to connect the weather head to the mast?) i have 3 5/16" u bolts for the mast, ( the house is stucco and will be surface mounted will the u bolts still work? will i need anything else to secure it?)
rack and spool, (does it come with brackets? or do i need to get some? also what size?)
flashing and collar
63-41mm adapter for mast( do i need to do this or can the mast go directly to the meter base?) using a meter hub? what size?
fuses for meter base rating?
meter base (100amp king size meter base) is that a good choice?
meter base hub 35-mm pvc ( is that the right size? how does the pvc connect o the meter base?)
then to an LB pvc?
then to the distribution panel which is 9' away, anything u think im missing even to the nut and bolts needed please add i just need the full list from thde weather head to the distribution panel, wires, connectors, everything. thanks alot!
Also i guess i need a ground plate? goes from the meter base to the goind right? what kind of wire is used?
How is the Meter base mounted to the stucco? what kind of screws and anchors are used?
what is connected to the rack and spool and what is needed to make the connection?
Seems like you have everything you need. There is a spot for the ground wire in the meter base. It actually goes to a rod that is in the ground. You can buy the rod at the hardware store. You can use any kind of screws but there are anchor screws with a blue end on them. You can find ground wire at the store.
What does the rack and spool hold?
The rack inside the box?
Below the weather head the rack and spool is holding a cable what it that?
That holds the service wires. The power co will have to come install that. It runs from a main line. That's not anything you'll have to worry about.
What is the stuff you guys put on the service entrance wires to prevent it from expanding and contracting
At the connection points
Usually shrink tubing or wire insolation
Does there not have to be a service disconnect as close to themeter as possible and then can go to the distribution panel so i need to put in a disconnect before if the panel is 9' away right?
Correct
from the meter i have the conduit to the lb then comes inside and what type of panel and rating will that need to be and what components are in it?
I need part info please
Would a service rated disconnect switch be used?
Go with a Schneider electric disconnect switch. Great warranty. You can get a weigmann panel and you need a 350 amp will work fine. The components will be breakers and wire. They send you a sheet showing how to install the wire and breakers. It also shows how to run everything from it.
Thats for the disconnect? So schneider disconnect switch? With how many 350amp fuses in it? And anything else? How many bushings and locknuts? And stuff
2 fuses. You need one locknut and bushing for the conduit coming into it. After that you should be all set. I can give you my email if you run into anymore problems you can contact me in person.
That would be awesome, im actually taking electrical and trying to learn so thats why i was asking so many queetions
Fuses come with it normally? And why 2 350 amp fuses and not 100amp?
You need higher fuses in case of a surge so it doesn't blow. It's a safety thing. Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't.
Chris Parson

I was just checking in, seeing if you could close the question or if you have anymore.

If you wouldn't mind can you rate the question and let it close? I can give you my email so you can email if you have anymore questions regarding this issue. Thank you so much!