Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Can I use romex to wire a 50' x 100' metal warehouse or do I…

Can I use romex to...
Can I use romex to wire a 50' x 100' metal warehouse or do I need conduit? The romex would be at laid in a structural "C-channel which forms a nice tray for wiring where the roof meets the walls and extended to lighting locations by attachment to other structural members. Where wiring needs to come down to working level it would be placed in a conduit.The property is in San Bernardino County, California.
3/9/2018
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

Please be patient as it takes time to type and provide links. Also note that the website may be sending you a telephone offer, the offer is not originating from me.

1) NM Romex cables are typically limited to single family dwellings. Most local electrical codes will not allow NM Romex cables installed in a commercial environment. NM Romex cables are not allowed in damp locations.

EMT metal conduit with individual conductors is the most common wiring method for commercial and industrial applications.

2) Keep in mind that local electrical codes will always take precedence above the National Electrical Code. I recommend that you contact your local electrical inspector as they will have the final say so.

Is Sched 40 PVC conduit acceptable in lieu of emt? It's easier to work with.

1) Grey electrical Sch. 40 conduit is code compliant with the NEC, but may not be code compliant with local electrical codes. EMT metal conduit is the most recognized method as a commercial raceway. You will need to contact the local electrical inspector to confirm if PVC conduit will be allowed.

This is a building on private property, not open to the public. Does that change the commercial nature of the building?

1) Possibly, but that is up to the local electrical inspector to confirm and approve.

2) Most local electrical inspectors frown upon the use of NM Romex cables unless they are installed behind drywall or paneling. If not protected, the odds of possible damage increase.

Yes, NM Romex cables can be protected inside EMT conduit from the areas directly below the ceiling down to the floor area. Once again, the use of NM Romex cables will reside with the approval of local codes.

3) I can tell you that EMT metal conduit will always be approved by local codes.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor

Thank you for the positive service rating............much appreciated!

If you have any other questions, just let me know.

Take care and have a great weekend............Thanks again............Kevin:)