Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I have no power to my garage but the breaker reads a full…

Customer Question
I have no power...

I have no power to my garage but the breaker reads a full 120 output. there are no gfci on the circuit

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

A couple of days

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I have already replaced a few old Light fixtures and switches but no resolution. Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The back door light of the house, and the exterior light of the garage are controlled by the same switch. One in the garage and one in the house. Garage is detatched. The light on the house had a glow to it previously even when switched off.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Electrical
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/8/2018
Electrician: George Smith, Master Electrician replied 1 month ago
George Smith
George Smith, Master Electrician

Thanks for counting on us to help with your electrical issue. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! Let me review your question!

Where is the panel ? Does the wiring go directly from the panel to the garage?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the panel is in the basement of my house. It then feeds outside into a conduit underground comes up into a conduit and into the wall of my garage.

Do you have a multi meter? Can you check for power where it comes into the garage?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have and I read no power. There is an exterior light on the house and garage on this circuit as well.

Did you check the hot to ground and to the neutral ?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
but nothing

How long has that run underground been there?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The 5 years that I have lived in the home, and I am sure before that

You could have a broken conduit underground? Can you take the hot and the neutral off the breaker and neutral bar and disconnect the wire coming into the garage and check for continuity from both ends ?

Have you had a chance to check the continuity ? If you have continuity or can read to ground without the wires connected on each other would indicate a broken conduit underground?

Did you check the continuity ?

George Smith
George Smith
George Smith, Master Electrician