Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I have a GCFI in a bathroom. The line is connected but the…

Customer Question
I have a GCFI in...
I have a GCFI in a bathroom. The line is connected but the original electrician swapped the black and white wires so in this outlet alone, the white is hot.Connecting the GCFI to the line the line is hot and the load registers hot. When I connect wires to the load (no matter what order) the line and load do not register hot.The plug across from the outlet also has no voltage and I am assuming it is connected to the outlet I am attaching a GCFI to.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Electrical
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/8/2018
Electrician: George Smith, Master Electrician replied 4 months ago
George Smith
George Smith, Master Electrician

Thanks for counting on us to help with your electrical issue. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! Let me review your question!

Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 4 months ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. Do you have a 2 wire voltage tester?

I do
  1. With wires disconnected test each to ground for 120V.
  2. Test the identified hot to each of the other wires for 120V.
  3. Having found a hot and neutral connect to the LINE terminations black wire to gold screw and white wire to silver screw.
  4. Test the GFCI .
  5. Let me know how it went and I'll give further instructions.

Just checking to see if you are ready to continue. Let me know.