Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I have a question for an electrician

....
I have a question for an electrician .
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/7/2018
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC General Class License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

Please be patient as it takes time to type and provide links. Also note that the website may be sending you a telephone offer, the offer is not originating from me.

1) Please provide details for your question?

I lost power to the wall outlets in my bedroom. The light works, the breaker seems to be working, i reset it but still no power on the wall outlets. What do you suggest?
type is fine

Thanks for the replies.

1) Problems such as this are often due to a loose wire termination or a faulty wire splice.

2) Do you have a multimeter to measure voltge? If so, the meter can confirm and narrow down the problem if a neutral wire or a hot wire issue.

3) In the interim, I recommend to try the Wiggle Procedure shown in the link below:

ok, thank you. I do have a multimeter. I will read the link to see if it helps. I have a total of 3 outlets that aren't working. Do you suspect a loose wire?

1) If any recent electrical work was performed, I recommend to check the wire terminations and/or splices in those boxes.

2) If wall switches and/or receptacles are back-stab wired, this is often the cause of the problem. Back-stab insert wiring often fail and always recommended to terminate wires only to the side screws.

3) Yes, most likely a loose wire.

4) Refer to the diagrams shown below: Measure for voltage from Hot to Neutral and from Hot to Ground and from Neutral to Ground at a few of the dead receptacles. Reply back to me with the 3 voltage measurements and we can take it from there.

Well I am not at the house right now. Let me try all of your suggestions and if I still have a problem I will get back with you.

OK, very good.

Thank you

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor