Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I have just taken an outside light with a lid off the wall.

I have just taken...

I have just taken an outside light with a lid off the wall . There are four wires from the switch live, neutral, earth and a yellow wire which is not connected but correctly sealed off in its own terminal. When I connected the new light without a pir live to live, neutral to neutral earth to earth . The light was on permanently the switch would not switch it off. I disconnected bthe live red wire from the light, sealed it off and then connected the yellow wire to the live terminal of the light and everything works perfectly. What is happening

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Just did it today

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

3/7/2018
George Smith
George Smith, Master Electrician

Thanks for counting on us to help with your electrical issue. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! Let me review your question!

Are you sure that was the way is was ?

What color is the neutral and what color is the live?

but don't know if any one else had altered the light as the light was not working. why would the light be on and the switch not work when red to red blue to blue earth to earth is connected but the switch does work properly when the red from the switch is disconnected and replaced with the yellow. All works perfectly
I do not want to ring. What do you think?

Are you sure the switch isn't wired that way ?

You need to look at the switch?

No thanks please type your answer

That request is being computer generated!

Can you open the switch and send me a pic of the wiring ?

Ok I'll check the switch tomorrow it's at another property. As every thing is working ok I've assumed it's all safe

Yes! The switch is probably wired that way ! A word to the wise for the next time take a pic before you start and you will know if you changed anything !

Hope I was of help today!

Please give me a positive rating before you sign off today!

Thanks !

George

ok.

Can you let me know what you find!

George Smith
George Smith, Master Electrician