Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

In New York State, the building's 1st floor is commercial…

In New York State, the...
In New York State, the building's 1st floor is commercial space, 2nd floor are residential rental apartments. there are 3 meters in basement control the 2nd floor apartment but now vacant, hooked on fuse box. Contractor installed 2 new 200-amp service panels on 2nd floor, will use 4/0-4/0-4/0-2/0 Aluminum SER Service Entrance Cable to connect to basement meter #1 #2. Also install 1 new 100-amp service panels on 2nd floor, will use 2-2-2-4 Aluminum SER Service Entrance Cable connect to basement #3. Can he simply replace 3 fuse boxes below 3 meters? By what?
3/7/2018
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC General Class License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

Please be patient as it takes time to type and provide links. Also note that the website may be sending you a telephone offer, the offer is not originating from me.

1) Fuse type panelboards can always be replaced by a panelboard with circuit breakers. Fuse's and circuit breakers are both forms of OCPD's (over current protection devices).

2) Panelboards are sold in a variety of maximum amperage, circuit breaker slots and main lug or main breaker type.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

what does "main lug" mean?
Under 3 meters for 2nd floor, should put one 200-amp breaker on panel #1 (200-amp), then 200-amp breaker on panel #2 (200-amp), then 100-amp breaker on panel #3 (100-amp). I am trying to find smallest size panel as possible

1) Circuit breaker panelboards are sold in two different versions...........ie......... either a main lug type or a main breaker type.

2) Main lug types do not have a built-in main disconnect breaker and only have main lugs where the feeder conductors terminate. Main lug panels of course will have individual branch circuit breakers.

3) A main breaker panelboard is just that. It contains a main breaker that is built into the panel to allow as a means of disconnect.

1) Panels are sold in a variety of amperage ratings.........ie........ 30, 60, 100, 125, 150, 200 amps and even higher. I recommend a local electrical supply store as Home Depot and Lowe's often carry limited panelboard amperages and quantity of breaker slots. Electrical supply stores carry all types of panelboards that will be applicable for many applications.

2) The panel amperage is based on the feeder conductor size and the service amps originating into the meter socket.

Under 3 meters for 2nd floor, should put one 200-amp breaker on panel #1 (200-amp), then 200-amp breaker on panel #2 (200-amp), then 100-amp breaker on panel #3 (100-amp). I am trying to find smallest size panel as possible because I have two 200-amp panels and one 100-amp panel on 2nd floor.

1) Sounds like you want to install a main disconnect switch? If so, main disconnect switches are sold as the fusible type and are available at any local electrical supply store. 100 and 200 amp models are widely available.

1) Combination meter sockets with a built-in main breaker are also available. Square-D and Milbank are the industry leaders for these types of main disconnects. Instead of a fuse, these versions have a built-in main disconnect circuit breaker.

3 main disconnect switches. Two 200-amps, one 100-amps under those 3 meters in the photo, right?

1) Yes, those are fusible disconnect switches in the pictures

can I simply change them to two 200-amp and one 100-amp fuses? save lot of work

1) That depends upon the incoming service amps to each meter and the service entrance conductor sizes. You need to confirm the amperage. Look at the fusible disco switches. The main cartridge fuses will be labeled with the amperage.

1) Looks like a 60 amp service which is common for apartments. The main cartridge fuses are also 60 amps.

my 2nd floor has two 200-amp panels and one 100-amp panels. How shall I upgrade these basement main disconnect switches so I can connect SER cable from 2nd floor panels to them?

1) The panels below the fuses are a combination of a main disconnect and branch circuits. The cartridge fuses are the main disconnect. The individual yellow fuses look like branch circuits. Are the glass fuses serving the individual branch circuits within one apartment?

2) Does each apartment contain a smaller sub-panel or you installed either a 200 or 100 am panel in each each apartment?

1) These 3 meters are been vacant for 3 years. I was connecting 2nd floor outlets before. Now my contractor installed brand new two 200-amp panels and one 100-amp panel on 2nd floor with all brand new wiring. I am wondering if any way those SER cables from 2nd floor new panels connect to 3 meters in the photos, without much cost?
2) On 2nd floor, I have two 200-amp panel and one 100-amp panel for each apartment.
1) These 3 meters are been vacant for 3 years. *They* were connecting 2nd floor outlets before. Now my contractor installed brand new two 200-amp panels and one 100-amp panel on 2nd floor with all brand new wiring. I am wondering if any way those SER cables from 2nd floor new panels connect to 3 meters in the photos, without much cost?

Thanks for the replies.

1) Like I mentioned in my previous answer, the main cartridge fuses are 60 amps. A 60 amp service is very common for apartment units.

2) If you are looking to supply 100 or 200 amps to the new panels, then the service needs to be upgraded to 100 or 200 amps accordingly. The service/feeder conductors into the meters would also have to be upgraded to accommodate a 100 or 200 amp load.

3) If looking to retain the 60 amp service, the 100 or 200 amp main breaker in the new panels will only act as the means of disconnect and the 60 amp disco switch can remain in place. If an overload with 60 amp service, the 100 or 200 amp main breaker will not trip. The 60 amp cartridge fuses would blow on an overload condition.

4) The SER cables can either be confirmed to which panel they extend to by a toner or continuity tester. A voltage meter can also confirm by measuring voltage at the 100 and 200 amp panels and then disconnecting the cartridge fuses at each of the disco switches.

1) In addition, if upgrading to 100 or 200 amp service, you would require a new meter socket that is rated for 100 or 200 amps.

1) The original fuse boxes look like a combo main disconnect and branch circuits. I suspect the 25 amps yellow fuses are for the branch circuits. It is also a code violation to use 25 amp fuses on a 120 volt circuit. Fuses and/or breakers can only be 15 or 20 amp rated. I suspect the 25 amp fuses were installed to prevent blowing fuses on previously installed 15 or 20 amp fuses. If so, that is a code violation and can lead to a fire. The circuit is being overfused. You will need to confirm the wire sizes on each 25 amp glass fuse. If 14 AWG copper, max amp is 15. If 20 AWG copper, max amp is 20. Yet, I'm seeing 25 amp fuses?

there are still live electricity in those 3 meters. National Grid shut off powers in 3 black boxes under those 3 meters and put locks on 3 years ago. You wrote "If you are looking to supply 100 or 200 amps to the new panels, then the service needs to be upgraded to 100 or 200 amps accordingly. " How to do that?

1) Who reads the 3 meters? The local electrical utility or the property manger?

2) I suspect the exterior of the building contains the utility meter and the inside basement meter are customer premise meters in order to provide individual apartment billing, is that correct?

3) If looking to upgrade the service amps, then the building service supplied by the utility needs to be confirmed. The service entrance conductor sizes to the exterior and interior meters also need to be confirmed. If wanting to upgrade the individual apartment amps, then the meter sockets along with the service conductors and the main disconnect all need to be upgraded accordingly to accommodate a higher amperage.

Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor