Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I have a Rockwell 62-751 120/230 volt single phase motor on…

Customer Question
I have a Rockwell 62-751...
I have a Rockwell 62-751 120/230 volt single phase motor on a table saw. It has a switch with 4 wires coming out of it. I want to use the 120 volt option
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Electrical
3/7/2018
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 1 month ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

The switch isn't where you change the voltage. The configuration of connection in the wiring compart ment is where it's done. There should be a diagram on the motor showing the connections.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
W
switching the voltage is shown in the diagram. It is connecting the power and switch that I need help with.

The switch breaks 2 wires. Either a hot and a neutral for 120V or 2 hots for 240V. The switch connections aren't changed. In the wiring compartment you have 2 wires on each of the feed wires for 120V or only one each on the feed wires with the other 2 connected together.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
To run 120 it says T1, T3, and T5 run to switch with T2, T4 and T8 run to switch. My power cord has black, white & green while the switch has red, white, black & green. What colors attach to what.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do you need any additional information
from me?

Is there a wiring diagram on the motor?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
a brief written answer is OK with me.

Connect as follows

L1=T1

L2=T4,T5

T,2,T3,T8 together

Swap T5 & T8 to reverse rotation.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Please give me....wire sources(power cord or switch) and wire colors as the attach to L1. L2 and or each other

L1 is black on switch

L2 is white on switch

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The configuration you are using is for 230 volts.....maybe? See my 12:28 pm posting

OK. You have 2 wires feeding the switch. They can be either 120 or 240V. Test the switch and use the 2 poles.

Stop, I misread your question. I gave wiring for 240V. Stand by for correction.

L1= T1,T3,T8

L2= T2,T4,T5

SWAP T5 & T8 to reverse rotation.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is this correct......L1 to switch Black, L2 to switch White, switch green to ground. Where does switch red go?
Power cord black to ? , power cord white to ? and power cord green to ground.

L1 is black, L2 is white, on the cord On the other end of the switch the motor wires connect as given. The green connects to the motor housing.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Are you saying Power cord black connects with switch black and L1.
Power cord white connects with switch white and L2.
What is the red wire on the switch connected to?

The red isn't used. Only 2 are used black and white. Actually only one L1 is necessary to break the hot wire. The white neutral doesn't need to be switched but it can be.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If the power cord black, the switch black and L1 are wired together what breaks the hot

There are 2 terminations on a switch pole.L1 has an in and out as do the others.

Connection of the cord black on one side and T1 on the other is what breaks the hot.

Mike G.
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician