Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Have been trying to wire a ceiling fan to the wall switch. I…

Have been trying to...

Have been trying to wire a ceiling fan to the wall switch. I ran a new line 14/2 from fan position to switch. found switch originally wired with white being hot .

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Been trying for several days. also found that with lamp plugged into oulet, oerhead lite comes on but lamp doesnt work. seems to be working like the switch. with another strategy I tried, either overhead lite comes on or lite plugged into wall ,dependent on position of wall switch .

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Ive been trying to.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I think the power was originally sent to recepticle than line sent to power switch ?

1/21/2018
David Bowden
David Bowden, Electrician

I​f the original construction did not have a ceiling light fixture, yet a switch was on the wall, that switch controlled 1/2 the outlet (this was for a floor lamp) and would support the white wire being "hot". In order to change this to a full working switch for your new ceiling fan and provide a neutral wire, you will need to change the outlet and do some minor rewiring.

David Bowden
David Bowden, Electrician
Phone call session started

I tried calling you but it didn't go through??

please try(###) ###-####again.

One of the goals here at Just Answer, is to provide each customer with the best experience possible and for the experts to earn a 5 Star Rating based on their responses, recommendations, and professionalism, when answering questions. If I have achieved that goal for this question, please take a few moments to rate my service and select the 5 Stars before logging out.

It has been my pleasure providing an answer for you today, however if additional service is needed, please use the reply box to let me know and I will respond back once I have the requested information.

Enjoy the rest of your day,

Dave

I just received notice of an additional bonus and wanted to say thank you very much it is greatly appreciated.

Dave