Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

Are you up for a challenge Pearl? Just today... Here goes...

Are you up for...

Are you up for a challenge Pearl?

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Just today... Here goes...

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yep

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Nope - Just say the word and I'll send you my question...

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello -
Hope you can help me here.I’m attempting to install a new outlet (underneath my sink).This is what I have (I’ve never touched this outlet before):3 cables in box:
Coming from ---1) Upper left side - 1 green (ground) , 1 black (+), 1 white (-)Upper right side - 1 green, 1 black, 1 whiteBottom -1 green, 1 red, 1 black, 1 whiteThis is the current configuration;All green (grounds) are properly connected.Black is connected to the outlet -
White is connected with Black from (3)Black is connected with Red (3)
White is connected to White (3) AND pigtailed with wire connected to
outlet -Red is connected to Black (2)
White is connected with White (2) AND pigtailed with wire connected
to outlet -
Black is connected with White from (1)With this, I got a “OPEN HOT” reading -Please tell me what connections I need to make and which wires from which cable need to be connect to the outlet.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I've include the CABLE numbers here -I’m attempting to install a new outlet (underneath my sink).This is what I have (I’ve never touched this outlet before):3 cables in box:
Coming from ---CABLE #1 - Upper left side - 1 green (ground) , 1 black (+), 1 white (-)CABLE #2 - Upper right side - 1 green, 1 black, 1 whiteCABLE #3 - Bottom -1 green, 1 red, 1 black, 1 whiteThis is the current configuration;All green (grounds) are properly connected.CABLE #1 - Black is connected to the outlet -
White is connected with Black from (CABLE #3)CABLE #2 - Black is connected with Red (CABLE #3)
White is connected to White (CABLE #3) AND pigtailed with wire connected to
outlet -CABLE #3 - Red is connected to Black (CABLE #2)
White is connected with White (CABLE #2) AND pigtailed with wire connected
to outlet -
Black is connected with White from (CABLE #1)With this, I got a “OPEN HOT” reading -Please tell me what connections I need to make and which wires from which cable need to be connect to the outlet.
1/21/2018
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

Do you have a 2 wire voltage tester?

If you do test for 120V from the grouped white wires to any of the black wires with all above counter switches off. When found a jumper from that black and one from the whites are what is connected to the new outlet.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Mike -
I juts noticed you sent a response. Thank you.
I don't have a voltage tester.
Is there a chance you can tell me which black wire(s) from which cable and which white wire(s) from which cable would be connected to the outlet?

Unfortunately you need to test and not guess. Should have a tester for any electrical work or troubleshooting. Get one and do as directed to be sure.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay - I'll get one but I still don't understand you answer...Cheers

The white wires connected together would have to be neutrals. With one probe on them and with the others touched one at a time with the above counter switches off, you are looking for the one that reads 120V. When identified a jumper from it and a jumper from the white wires need to connect to your new outlet. If it would be easier, I can direct you on the phone. Just accept the offer.

Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No thank you. I understand you answered the best that you could.

Just follow the instructions step by step.

Mike G.
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician