Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Is it easier to convert a 3-ph 440v machine to a 3-ph 220v…

Is it easier to convert...
Is it easier to convert a 3-ph 440v machine to a 3-ph 220v or easier to convert a 3-ph 220v to a 3-ph 440 volt?
1/20/2018
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC General Class License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) All depends upon the voltage that is available from the electrical utility as well as the available panel and/or switch gear voltage?

2) What voltage(s) do you have available?

I am not entirely sure. The situation is that I am ordering a machine from China and I need to give them electrical specifics about an industrial space which I have not leased yet (I have several to choose from). The machine needs to be ordered because it will take 2 months to get here but I will not know what space I am getting for another month. I know that all of the spaces have 3 phase power but different voltages. The company in China is asking me for the phase, voltage and hertz to build the machine but I dont have the specifics so I wanted to know if it is easier to increase voltage or decrease it in case the space I end up with isnt wired appropriately. I dont know if that made sense!

Thanks for the replies.

1) 1st of all, you need to know the available voltages in the building. A manufacturer will not be able to manufacture the product without knowing the available voltage. I recommend that you confirm the available voltage(s) with the building facilities manager or hire a locally licensed electrician to confirm.

2) If ordering from China, make sure you tell them that USA voltages are 60 Htz and NOT 50 Htz.

3) Whatever voltage is used, either a step-up or a step-down transformer will be required. Stepping down to 240 volts will most likely be more cost effective. The application will require a disconnect safety switch. A 240 volt disco switch will be less expensive than a 480 volt disco switch. The USA use 480 three-phase voltage @ 60 Htz and NOT 440 volts. The USA also use 240 volts and not 220 or 230 volts.

Within the National Electrical Code in the USA, common voltages are 120, 208, 240, 277 and 480. Foreign countries have different voltages than the USA.

awesome thank you!

No problem, glad to assist.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor

Thank you for the positive service rating............much appreciated!

If you have any other questions, just let me know.

Take care and have a great weekend............Thanks again............Kevin:)