Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Into outlet started making noise and then a little smoke…

Into outlet started making...

Into outlet started making noise and then a little smoke came out. There was a glade plug -in in the outlet and I removed it once I heard the noise

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

It just happened tonight

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The outlet is inside my bathroom and the house was built in 2017. Only a little smoke came out and the wall is not hot

1/19/2018
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC General Class License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) A receptacle making noise and smoking suggests that electrical arcing is taking place due to a loose were termination or a faulty wire splice. This presents a safety hazard and needs to be corrected ASAP.

2) Have you pulled the receptacle out from the wall box and performed a visual inspection looking for burn marks or melted wire insulation on the wires and receptacle? Kill power 1st to the circuit breaker prior to backing the receptacle out from the wall box.

I only pulled out the plug-in that was installed and kept feeling the walls to make sure it was not getting hot

1) You need to pull the receptacle out from the wall box. DO NOT remove any wires, just perform a visual inspection and look for burn marks or melted wire insulation.

I tried to accept the phone call request, but it shows a payment failure. We can continue chatting here.

Continue chat

Yes, chat is fine with me.

1) What does the back side of the receptacle and the side screws look like? Burnt marks? Any sign of burnt marks or melted wire insulation?

No burn marks

1) Any loose wires terminated to the receptacle or at the wire nut splices?

2) Are the wires terminate to the receptacle side screws or inserted into the back-stab holes?

No wires are sticking out and the side screws are in tight I don't see any loose wiring

OK, good job on the inspection.

1) I recommend to replace the receptacle. If you are unable to replace it this evening, then kill power to the circuit breaker and leave it in the OFF position until it can be replaced. A smoking receptacle that sizzles is a potential safety hazard.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Do I need to turn the power off in the whole bathroom or is there a way to just disconnect that receptacle

I recommend to kill power at the circuit breaker. Unfortunately this will kill power to the bathroom, but this is the safest method. It is possible that there is a loose internal connection within the receptacle or a quality manufacturing issue with the receptacle.

Ok thank you

No problem, glad to assist.

Stay safe and have a good evening............Thanks...........Kevin:)

Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor