Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I have an commercial mixer that runs on 120V / 60 / 1. I…

Hello I have an commercial...
Hello I have an commercial mixer that runs on 120V / 60 / 1. I would like to know if this equipment could be run in a home US standard wall plug? Thank you!
1/18/2018
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Yes, it is rated @ 120 volts, 60 Htz, single phase.

2) The motor FLA rating is approx 9.8 amps. Code requires that the FLA rating be sized a minimum of 125% of the FLA rating (full load amps). 9.8 amps x 1.25 = 12.25 amps. I recommend a dedicated circuit and not sharing the mixer with any other loads. A 15 amp circuit should work, but to play it safe, I recommend a dedicated 20 amp circuit. Upon initial start-up of the mixer, there will be an "in-rush" of current. Thus the reason to size the circuit using the 1.25 factor.

If planning on using the kitchen countertop receptacles, the circuit should be 20 amps. If running the mixer on a countertop 20 amp circuit, then I recommend to not plug any other loads into that circuit. Therefore, it is possible to utilize the kitchen countertop receptacles. If wanting to simultaneously run other equipment on the same circuit as the mixer, then I recommend a dedicated 20 amp circuit. If running too many small appliances on the same circuit, there is always a chance the circuit can overload and the breaker can trip.

3) If using a 15 amp circuit, the conductors need to be sized as 14 AWG copper. If a 20 amp circuit, the conductors need to be sized as 12 AWG copper.

4) In addition, the kitchen countertop receptacles should also be GFCI protected when using the mixer.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Does that help to answer your question?

Hello Kevin, thanks for your reply.Is there any way I can check if my home kitchen circuit is 20 or 15 amps?Thank you!

1) The kitchen countertop circuit should be 20 amps. To confirm, just look at the directory on your main electrical panel for the individual circuit breakers. The breakers should be labeled.

Thanks Kevin! Let me have a look when I get home tonight. I will let you know what I found.

OK, very good.

1) At the main panel, look at circuit breakers 8 & 10. These are labeled as kitchen receptacles. Look at the breaker handle, are they labeled as 15 or 20 amps?

Wow Kevin, you are amazing. I didn't realize the actual circuit breakers are labelled.8&10 are labelled as 20.As you mentioned, conductors for amp 20 need to be sized as 12 AWG copper. Is there anyway I can check this?Also, is there anyway I can check if the receptacle is GFCI protected?Thank you!

1) The kitchen countertop receptacles should be of the GFCI type.........ie..........the receptacle will have a test and a reset button built into the receptacle.

2) Most likely the wire is 12 AWG copper. In order to confirm, you can either pull a receptacle from the wall box and look at the wire insulation. It should be labeled as 12 AWG.

3) Another method to confirm is to remove the door on the electrical panel. Locate the circuit breaker and perform a visual inspection of the hot wire insulation that is terminated to the breaker. It should also be labeled as 12 AWG.

4) Yes, your kitchen countertop circuits meet code since they are 20 amp breakers.

1) If the home was built prior to 1987, GFCI protection for the kitchen countertop receptacles was not a code requirement. After 1987, it became a code requirement for GFCI at the kitchen receptacles.

2) Yes, it will be labeled directly on the wire insulation. Sometimes, it is kinda difficult to read or locate the labeleing.

Thanks Kevin. I found a labeling in white ink that reads 600V. Is that enough information to determine if the copper wire is 12 AWG?

Yes, all electrical wiring is rated and labeled as 600 volts as a minimum.

You can also compare a 15 amp breaker and a 20 amp breaker wiring. The 15 amp breaker wiring will be a little smaller than a 20 amp breaker wire. 15 amp breaker wires are listed as 14 AWG copper.

1) OK, you should be good to go.

2) Yes, when running the mixer, make sure you don't have any other small appliances running at the same time, otherwise the circuit breaker may trip due to an overload.

Ok thank you!

No problem, glad to assist.

Take care and have a great day...........Thanks.........Kevin:)

Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor

Thank you for the positive service rating............much appreciated!

If you have any other questions, just let me know.

Take care and have a great day............Thanks again............Kevin:)

Kevin
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor