Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

I have a legrand dimmer switch that i installed replacing a…

I have a legrand...

I have a legrand dimmer switch that i installed replacing a single pole non dimmer switch. I only had two wires on the old switch and they were unmarked. The wire i assumed was hot was the one coming from a wire that also went to the light switch next to this one (2 gang), the other wire just goes up (i assume to the light i am trying to dim. When i reconnected the power the switch rocker is blinking and nothing i do gets it to stop and the light doesn’t respond. I connected what i thought was the hot wire to “hot “ on the switch and the other wire to “pole” The ground on the plate is connected to the ground in the box

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Just this evening

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not that i can think of. Legrand doesn’t give any trouble shooting advice in the installlation guide, that is what lead me to checking online

Answered in 1 hour by:
1/18/2018
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Please provide me with the model number of the Legrand dimmer switch?

2) What type of light bulbs are you using? Incandescent or CFL or LED?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Well it’s hard to tell because no where does it actually come out and tell you that it is a model number. There are numbers all over it. The instructions show “No: 341108 and there is a catalogue number ADTP703TU. I am currently using an incandescent flood

Thanks for the replies. I located the instruction sheet.

1) This dimmer model requires a neutral wire termination. Look at the back of the switch, does yours contain a neutral termination?

2) Does the wall switch box contain a group of white neutral wires that are spliced together with a wire nut?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
1. Yes, hot and white are at the top and 1pole and 3way are at the bottom.
2. Yes there are white wires spliced together in the box that are currently not connected in any way that I can tell to the existing switches

1) OK, the group of white wires that are not connected to the switches are the neutral wires. You need to make up a 6 inch pigtail white neutral wire and splice it into the white neutral group. If the breaker is 15 amps, use 14 AWG white copper wire. If a 20 amp breaker, use 12 AWG white copper wire and terminate the neutral pigtail jumper into the dimmer neutral termination.

2) Where you had 2 wires from the other switch, that is your hot wire. Terminate that hot wire pigtail to the dimmer where it is labeled as common/hot.

3) The remaining lone black wire from the old switch is the switched loop wire that extends to the light. Terminate this wire to the 1 pole slot.

Restore power to the breaker and test the switch. Reply back and let me know if working OK? ...........Thanks...........Kevin:)

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you Kevin, this has been very helpful. I think, however that this is going a step beyond my comfort level... it would require me to buy wiring and as simple as it seems, I think I will have an electrician do it. I am planning a remodel within the year anyway, just thought adding a sleek dimmer wwoukd be getting ahead of the game a bit

Yes, I understand how that goes. If doing a future remodel, then the electrician can wire the dimmer and get you up and running.

Thank you for the positive service rating............much appreciated!

If you have any other questions, just let me know.

Take care and have a great evening............Thanks again............Kevin:)

Kevin
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor