Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I have a question regarding fan controls. A few days. Will…

[Second opinion] I have...

[Second opinion] I have a question regarding fan controls

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

A few days

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Will explain when connected

I am looking for someone who can explain the specific difference in the way an actual "fan speed wall control" works when compared to a traditional dimmer switch.
1/18/2018
George Smith
George Smith, Master Electrician

Thanks for counting on us to help with your electrical issue. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! Let me review your question!

A fan control starts with the motor at high speed and than you can turn it down to a lower speed!

A dimmer starts with your lights at a low voltage and than you can turn the voltage to high!

That is to protect a motor from starting a a lower speed and burning out!

Hope I was of help today!

Please give me a 5 star rating before you sign off today!

Thanks !

George

Hi George, thanks a lot for your help so far. I can see you understand the specifics of how the two types of controls work, so now I'll ask my more specific question. If you look at the original documents I attached, I had the Honeywell Receiver + Remote Control + Wall Control installed by a licensed Electrician. Everything was installed correctly and functional. Afterwards, I wanted to swap out the wall control that came with the Honeywell, with a Legrand (Pass & Seymour) Wall Fan Speed Control (whose documentation I also attached) . It is actually working correctly but I just want to make sure I'm not at any risk of burning out the motor or starting a fire. I have since turned off the fan and breaker to be safe until I get reassurance that this is OK. I connected the black house wire previously connected to the black wire labeled "AC IN" on the Honeywell device, to the wire labeled "Wire to Motor/Source (black)" on the Legrand unit. I then connected the receiver wire that was previously connected to the black wire labeled "To Motor" on the Honeywell device, to the wire labeled "Wire to Motor/Source (red)" on the Legrand unit.As far as I can tell, all the different speeds work correctly regardless if I use the wall control or remote. I just want to make sure this is safe. The Legrand is a fan speed control, not a rheostate/resistive device, so I'm hoping this is OK. Thanks in advance for your help!Tom
I'll be afk for a few mins)

I'm having a hard time figuring out the Legrand settings! The slide is for motor isn't explained all that well! I can't tell the speeds for the slide!

It only has 3 settings, same as the honeywell I replaced. The slider "clicks" into 3 positions - High, Med, Low

Ok ! is there a pull chain on the fan?

it (should have) been set in the high speed position as instructed
Since the fan operates at high-speed when put into high-speed, I assume that is OK, otherwise the pull-chain would override the remote settings I assume

Yes! You're fine! the Legrand has capacitieve circurtity which compensates for the different speeds !

excellent - i read there are two type of fan speed controls, solid state, and capacitive. Where do you see that it says it's capacitive? (just curious...)

I googled the control and on amazon it showed in the spec!

excellent, it's working perfectly, so as long as you're confident it won't start a fire or burn out the receiver, I am happy!
that didn't link properly, it's trying to pull it off of your local computer.
but regardless I believe you. So long as it's capacitive, it's safe for the receiver and the fan right?

If you google the control you will find it!

Hope I was of help today!

Thanks !

George

I will give you a 5 star rating for sure, but please just confirm my last question. The legrand unit is safe and won't start a fire or burn anything out right?

You're fine! As long as you have it wired to specs!

George Smith
George Smith, Master Electrician
I do, thanks so much!

Here are the spec from a supplier! to calm your concerns about the circuitry!

https://www.lbclighting.com/lgd-rhdh163p/reviews/