Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

I have a question regarding fan controls, a few days, yes,

I have a question...

I have a question regarding fan controls

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

A few days

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Will explain when connected

1/18/2018
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

Please explain in detail.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK I had the following unit professionally installed:
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The electrician installed the receiver and the wall control
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I desire to replace the wall control that came with that unit, with the one I am attaching here (Legrand)
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I know the Honeywell unit (the one with the receiver that is in the fan), says you can NOT use a rheostat device like a traditional dimmer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This is an actual fan speed control though, with 3 speed settings, so from what I understand it doesn't use voltage to control the speed of the fan. Will this be OK?

The two control are not the same. You need to use the one provided with the fan. It has both fan speed and light dimming control.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
but I should have mentioned I don't have any light to control, I am concerned with operation of the fan only
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
neither came with the fan, the honeywell is aftermarket as is the legrand

Not having a light has no effect on fan speed control. You still need the supplied control.

You can use the speed control by connecting the fan black and white wires directly to the house wires. Don't install the receiver.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok here's the interesting thing, I hooked up the replacement speed control to the receiver, and it looks to be working fine. Is all that matters that the legrand wall control is not a rheostat device? I just want to make sure it doesn't start a fire
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i took the house wiring that the old wall control ("AC IN", black) was wired into and tied that to the "Wire to Motor/Source" black line
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the house wiring for "To Motor", (also black) to the RED "Wire to Motor Source" line in the legrand
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I had it wired and ready to go prior to asking the question. Flipped the breaker and tested it, it's working OK.

Make it simple.

What colors are the fan leads? Not the receiver.

What colors are the house wires in the box?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I haven't looked at the actual fan leads, that was installed previously. You got the documents I sent you right? It should have the colors in there

As I suspected. You have a black, white and blue on the fan. If you remove the receiver and connect the black and white to house wires, omitting the blue wire it will be as it should be.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Right now it's connected to the receiver and appears to be working...is there something I should be concerned about?

The receiver must be in a fan setting, high, medium or low, for it to be working at all. If the speed controller installed is working it should be fine, but I would remove a component that isn't necessary and have the wiring as shown on the installation sheet.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm trying to keep the receiver because I can keep the remote functionality. The way it is working right now, I can control the fan via the remote control that came with the Honeywell, or with the Legrand wall control
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My only concern at this point is I want to make sure this isn't a fire hazard like it would be if I was using a traditional dimmer switch

Having both could cause a failure of the fan should you have both controls on a low speed setting. It could burn out the receiver or the motor because of voltage too low.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The honeywell remote + wall control works the exact same way. I could have both set to low on those controls too. The question is how is the honeywell wall control different from the legrand?

The Honeywell has a radio signal to the receiver and the Legrand controls the voltage directly to the fan.

Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry, I think I'm going to have to contact Honeywell directly. One of the wires for the receiver is labeled "To Motor" so I highly doubt it's a radio signal. Thanks for your help anyways though.

I see you asked for a second opinion. If you look at your instructions, it states not to use the red wire on a single pole installation. It directes you to set pull caing switch to high and never use it again because it will limit voltage to motor as will a receiver in the line. You can't use more than one type of control.

Mike G.
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician