Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I have a dimplex smart baseboard heater. I connected it as a…

Hi, my name is...

Hi, my name is Don. I have a dimplex smart baseboard heater. I connected it as a 110 v off an outlet. I now realize it is a 240/220v. Can I disconnect the 12/2 wire off the outlet, run it to the circuit braker box and us a 2 pole breaker? do I need 12/3 wire or can the 12/2 work?

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Just installed yesterday

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes I have done the installation myself yesterday

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No I think I explained my situation

1/17/2018
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

You only need 12/2 for 240V. The circuit to the outlet may have additional outlets on it and you need to verify that moving the white wire to a 2 please breaker won't put 240V on any other outlets.

I can use the 12/2 directly to the circuit breaker box with a 2 pole breaker
are you there?

yes you may. Tape both ends of white wire with black tape identifing it is a hot.

not sure of your last response. using the 12/2 the white wire can connect to the bar in the breaker box and the white iwire can connect to the neutral on the heater. Is that right

Being 240V there isn't a neutral required. I said that when using the white wire as a hot, on a breaker, it needs to be identified with black tape.

I am using the black wire as hot, so does the white wire not get connected at all

For 240V you need 2 wires. Black and White both connect to a 2 pole breaker.

the the wires are connected to the breaker and the other end of the wires go black to black and white to the neutral black/blue conections on the heater. That is what I will be doing. Is that okay

There is no neutral required for 240V. Your heater should have 2 wires to connect. Connect black to one and white to the other.

Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
okay, I am finished