Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

I have an old style Nema 6-15 socket and a Nema 10-50

Customer Question
I have an old...

I have an old style Nema 6-15 socket and a Nema 10-50 sockets not being used. Cannot rewire. Looking for some type of Step Down Transformer/Converter I can use with one of these to convert to standard 5-20 or 5-15 equipment.

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Just doing internet searches from time to time. All of my 5-15 Circuits are running over their maximum on UPC equipment to prevent overloading. Out of space, but, I don't own the property and cannot make changes. Have even connected a UPC to the Light Circuits to fill and monitor that circuit.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Trying to find some type of Converter/Transformer since no Wiring or Box changes can be made. If I have to make it myself that would be fine, but, has to start with the 220v Sockets that are there.

Contractor's Assistant: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?

Very Old. Since no wiring can be done I have not yet talked to an electrician. All I have seen so far recommend replacing which cannot be the solution I use.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not that I can think of.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Electrical
1/17/2018
Electrician: George Smith, Master Electrician replied 1 month ago
George Smith
George Smith, Master Electrician
Hi this is George let me help you!
What are the amps of the circuit feeding the sockets?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The 10-50 Socket has a 50 Amp Breaker. I'm not sure on the 6-15 Socket, but, I imagine it is 15 Amps.
Just checking!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No thank you. Do not use phones.
This issue that you will have is connecting something with a cord! I'll have to research the code for an approved way to use a cord for this application?
What is the load on the equipment you want to use?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
1250 W / 10.8 A is the largest maximum load. This one would be disconnected if anything else is used on the circuit. An APC UPS will be between the Circuit and the load(s).
Give sometime this morning to do some research? Grainger may have something to for your needs?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I can wait for your research. Have been looking into this for awhile. A lot of transformers/converters available though most listed for only international use, but, don't know what would be best to use.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Just letting you know I am still waiting for a response on the research...Thanks
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Still waiting on an answer.
Mike, Master Electrician