Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I have a dual outlet wall receptacle with two sets of wires…

Customer Question
Hi, Contractor's Assistant: Hi...

Contractor's Assistant: Hi. How can I help?

I have a dual outlet wall receptacle with two sets of wires attached to it. I want to split this receptacle so that one outlet is controlled by a switch and add another unswitched dual outlet "downstream." Is this possible and if so, how should it be wired? Thanks.

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Not long. I am currently renovating a bedroom that does not have a switch near the doorway.

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, are you working with a contractor?

No, I am doing some framing in this room and thought that this would be a straightforward part of this project.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I have done a lot of light construction work.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Electrical
1/17/2018
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 4 months ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Yes, very doable. The wall switch will need to be fed with a hot circuit feed, a switched loop conductor that extends from the switch out to the receptacle, a white neutral wire must also be present in the switch box as well as a grounding conductor. The receptacle box must also contain a white neutral and an equipment grounding conductor.

2) If wanting to have 1/2 of the receptacle switch controlled and the other receptacle 1/2 always live, you will need to remove the brass tab located in between the 2 brass screws on the receptacle. The silver neutral tab will remain in place.

At the always live receptacle, DO NOT remove the brass or silver tabs.

3) If the breaker is 15 amps, use 14 AWG copper wires. If a 20 amp breaker, use 12 AWG copper wire.

4) Are you planning on installing NM Romex cable?

Thanks for your reply. The breaker is 15 amps and I would be using NM Romex. Is there a wiring diagram that you could direct me to? I work better with a visual guide.

Thanks for the replies.

1) I can certainly create a wiring diagram, but I will need to know where the circuit feed (hot & neutral) will originate from? If you can originate the circuit at the wall switch box and then extend the Romex out to the receptacle, that will be the easiest configuration. Let me know how you want to route the circuit and we can take it from there.

2) Is the wall switch a single pole or a 3-way?

Mike, Master Electrician