Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Replaced a 6" light can fixture yesterday.... Copied the…

Thank you.... replaced...

Thank you.... replaced a 6" light can fixture yesterday....

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Copied the wire connection patteren...

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

The room is a bathroom with two cans in the ceiling

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

When we flip'd on the braker.... the new can staye powered on and wasn't controlled by the original light switch.

1/15/2018
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC General Class License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) You have the light spliced to an always live hot wire and not spliced to the switched loop wire. Thus the reason the switch is not working.

2) Back the wall switch out from the box and tell me the wire colors that are terminated to the switch?

3) How many wires and the wire colors at the can light?

Hi Kevin!ty. this sounds correct. I'm not at the house now. Just trying this new service for the 1st time. Strange... I was very caueful to match the same wires when swapping out the can. I must have overlooked something.

OK, just reply back to me when you are at home and we can continue.

Thanks Kevin!

No problem.

Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.................Kevin:)