Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

My breaker tripped, from space heater. It was turned back on…

Customer Question
My breaker tripped, from space...
My breaker tripped, from space heater. It was turned back on and accidently turned off again. When it was turned back on the outlets and lights hooked to it did not come back on.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Electrical
1/15/2018
Electrician: Shane, Master Electrician replied 4 months ago
Shane
Shane, Master Electrician
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. There are a few things I would like to test but first, do you have a voltmeter to use while troubleshooting?
Okay, first I want to make sure we have 120 volts coming off your breaker. In order to cut down on both our need to ask questions and respond to one another I will put as much info in these responses as I can. But please feel free to ask as much as you need or want.Put your meter on “volts” or “v” and place your red lead on the breaker terminal screw and your black lead on the neutral bus where the white wires go to. You should read 120v, if so we will continue our troubleshooting.Assuming you read 120v at the panel I want you to turn the breaker back off and remove the outlet that the space heater was plugged into. Once you have it out turn the power back on and check for voltage on the screws of the receptacle. Red lead on gold screw and black lead on silver screw. Let me know what you get.
I got 120 at breaker. I will continue in the my if that’s ok with you
Okay good. Yes let’s continue on to the receptacle that the space heater was plugged into. One other thing I’d like to know is it the receptacle has the wires pushed into little holes on the back of it or if they are screwed and/or wrapped around the gold and silver screws.
How would I check this? There aren’t any wires showing. The only one that doesn’t have insulation on the whole wire is the ground wire.
You can check where the black and white wires are pushed down into the the metal same way as you would with a standard receptacle. One lead goes on the metal where the black wire is pressed into and the other where the white wire is pressed into. That design allows the metal to score the insulation of the wire without it being stripped back.I’m going to assume there isn’t going to be 120v (although still check please) because it is a single cable supplying power to it and you mentioned you lost power to your lighting circuit as well.What room is this room is having the issue? Second, if you haven’t checked, check all your GFCI receptacles to make sure they are all RESET and ON please . They shouldn’t have wired lights on the load side of a GFCI but nevertheless it is something quick and easy to check.
I checked and it doesn't show any voltage. This is in my living room and one bedroom. I have 2 GFCI receptacles. I checked and I was able to test one but the other one couldn't be pushed in but the lights that are hooked to that one are working. both GFCI outlets are working.
Gotcha,the GFCI that you said you couldn’t push in is a little concerning. They should always be able to be TRIPPED and RESET, if not it is usually an indiciator the device has failed or is wired wrong (which in this case wouldn’t be the reason). However, if you are certain it works then the next thing to do is find the first receptacle fed from the breaker and keep testing everything along that entire that entire circuit until the meter shows 120v.
is there a way to put these back? When I take them off the piece that holds the screw falls off
As far as putting them back together I’m not 100% sure, I would say they snap back together. When working with those I have just removed and replaced them with standard receptacles. But doing so also required a box to be cut in. I am going to be unavailable for a few hours and I don’t want to leave you hanging so I’ll opt out so maybe someone else available can continue to help you. I’ll check back in later.
Electrician: Tyler Bosch,
 replied 4 months ago
Tyler Bosch
Good evening. Have you been able to resolve your issue?
No I haven't
Electrician: Tyler Bosch,
 replied 4 months ago
OK I'll see if I can jump in here.
Have you gotten through the step my colleague suggested and tracked down the closest receptacle or light to your electrical panel?
Electrician: Tyler Bosch,
 replied 4 months ago
If not, that's where I would begin. If you don't have a plug testerling, a small lamp is effective.
Electrician: Tyler Bosch,
 replied 4 months ago
Tester sorry
Electrician: Tyler Bosch,
 replied 4 months ago
I would also like to revise that gfci that wouldn't push in, if it's in a bathroom affected by the outage.
Electrician: Tyler Bosch,
 replied 4 months ago
Revisit* sorry my thumbs are going too fast.
the GCFI outlet is in the bathroom but it doesn't control that side of the house.
I meant GFCI
Electrician: Tyler Bosch,
 replied 4 months ago
OK that's fine, then we can forget about it.
Electrician: Tyler Bosch,
 replied 4 months ago
Any luck with the outlets? Basically what we are looking for, is the point at which you lose power. The wires are likely run from one outlet, to the next closest. By mapping out the ones that are dead, including switches, you can find the route back to the panel and reconnect the break.
Is that a normal thing to switch a breaker off and the outlets not come back on?
Electrician: Tyler Bosch,
 replied 4 months ago
Not at all. I don't have a lot of experience in manufactured homes, but any terminations and splices should be dependable in a fault or overload situation.
Electrician: Tyler Bosch,
 replied 4 months ago
That's why the question about the type of receptacle and how they were terminated. The push in's on the back of the receptacle make minimal contact with the wire and can burn apart fairy often. Most people don't use them for that reason, although they are legal.
I'm trying to take a better look at the terminations behind your receptacle.
I attached a picture earlier
Electrician: Tyler Bosch,
 replied 4 months ago
the way the wires are terminated i's fairly similar to the push in's. The metal scrapes off some insulation and makes contact with the wire. It's more of a low voltage method of termination to be honest.
Electrician: Tyler Bosch,
 replied 4 months ago
I saw but I wanted to bring it up on my computer screen.
Electrician: Tyler Bosch,
 replied 4 months ago
I would guess that in the receptacle just ahead (or closer to the panel) of the first one that doesn't work, you will find a loose connection.
It could be on either white or black.
You can narrow it down by checking for voltage between the black and the ground.
Electrician: Tyler Bosch,
 replied 4 months ago
If you have 120V between black and ground, you have a loose neutral.
If there's no voltage between any lines, it's a lose black or both black and white.
where am I checking at?
Electrician: Tyler Bosch,
 replied 4 months ago
You need to find enough of the ones that arent working, to work out a logical route in which the wire is ran. Maybe a piece of tape on the ones you find that areally out.
all the ones I've checked are out
Electrician: Tyler Bosch,
 replied 4 months ago
Once you have a few in a row, keep following that wall around until you find one that does work.
Next you will turn off the breaker and see check that same outlet for power. If that outlet is now off, it is likely your culprit.
I'm not following you.
Electrician: Tyler Bosch,
 replied 4 months ago
One minute. I'll draw a picture
Electrician: Tyler Bosch,
 replied 4 months ago
OK so here we have 2 bedrooms and a bathroom between. The red plugs are not working, the green ones are.
It's fairly easy to imagine the path of the wire (the dotted red line) and therefor be able to track down the next plug in line from the last one that isn't working.
I have tested all of the none working outlets in the living room and no voltage on either. I am going to the bedroom.
I have 12 outlets that aren't working. I've tested all of them and no voltage on any of them. Is that what I was supposed to do?
Tyler Bosch
Tyler Bosch
Tyler Bosch