Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

My ceiling light will not turn off by the switch anymore. so…

Customer Question
Hi my ceiling light...

Hi my ceiling light will not turn off by the switch anymore. so I went and replaced the switch and it still stays on?

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

A few days

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Electrical
even with the switch disconnected it still stays on?
1/14/2018
Electrician: Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor replied 7 months ago
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor

Hi ..............was anything done before this occurred ?

no

what type of light is it?.............it isn't a ceiling fan /light is it?..........if you turn off and on the breaker for a minute or so what happens?

it is not a ceiling fan - just a light

and the breaker question?...............do you have a voltage meter ?

I have to go offline now I will check back asap

breaker turns it off but when breaker is back it just is back on
no voltage meter, what would that do?
do I need an AC or DC one?

to see if we can detect a short ...........its called a multi-meter

I hope you have found my answers insightful, with content to your satisfaction and would consider a 5 star rating…….My goal is to give you the best experience with Just Answer as possible.… by your rating it would be the only way I can be compensated in facilitating your inquiry.........a deposit for a subscription was made by you but no payment will be forthcoming unless I am rated…..positive feedback and bonuses are always welcomed and appreciated......and I thank you

eddie