Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I am installing a leviton switch with wi-fi in a older home…

I am installing a...

I am installing a leviton switch with wi-fi in a older home but only have access to two wires in the electrical box--a black wire and a white. The instructions are given for a four wire arrangement, a black wire, red, white, and bare copper. I installed the black wire I have to the black connector, and the white to the white connector. When the power is restored, the little green light comes on. But when I toggle the switch on the top side, the load light does not come on. When I toggle it on the lower side, nothing happens there either. What am I doing wrong? Please advise.

Contractor's Assistant: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?

1962

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes, I have already started and currently in the process.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I don"t think so

1/12/2018
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Please provide me with the model number of the Leviton switch?

2) Does the wall box contain a group of white neutral wires that are spliced and wire nutted together?

3) Is the wall box wired with cable or EMT metal conduit?

1) DW15S 2) No 3) No. There is only one black and one white wire.
No. I am not prepared to pay an additional $24. Please continue via text.

Thanks for confirming.

1) I'm sorry, but the Leviton switch will not work on your application. This switch requires a neutral connection inside the switch box, but the switch box does not contain the neutral wires. A new cable with the circuit neutral LINE and LOAD wires would be required to be installed in the switch box in order to use this switch.

2) See link description shown below where it states that a neutral wire is required:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-Decora-Smart-Wi-Fi-15A-Universal-LED-Incandescent-Switch-No-Hub-Required-Works-with-Amazon-Alexa-and-Google-Assistant-R01-DW15S-1RZ/300799744

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Does that help to answer your question?

Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor

Thank you for the positive service rating............much appreciated!

If you have any other questions, just let me know.

Take care and have a great day............Thanks again............Kevin:)

Kevin
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor