Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I am trying to add a power outlet to wall. The light switch…

I am trying to add...
I am trying to add a power outlet to wall. The light switch above it has 2 wires(black and white) and ground. I was told to run black wire from outlet to switch and leave black wire attached the switch, and run the white wires together, down to the outlet. Also ground the switch outlet,power outlet, and ground together. This did not work. Any help would be appreciated.
1/11/2018
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC General Class License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Doe the wall switch box contain a group of white neutral wires that are spliced together or only the 1 white wire that is terminated to the switch?

2) Is the switch a single pole or a 3-way switch? How many wall locations control the light? 1 or more switch locations controlling the same light?

Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
1) only 1 black, 1 white, and ground. Nothing
else.
2) 1 switch runfs 2 lights in ceiling. That is all that is in box.
Phone call session started