Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I'm trying to wire a pass & seymour l630p plug with an

I'm trying to wire...

I'm trying to wire a pass & seymour l630p plug with an european cord (yellow/green, blue and brown wires), I have the ground wire (the yellow/green) hooked to the proper terminal, but unsure what wires go to "X" and "Y" on the plug. Blue is nuetral, brown is hot

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

20mins

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not that I can think of, just need to know if hot is X or Y

1/10/2018
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

Is this for use here or in Europe?

here (USA)

In the USA it doesn't matter. Our voltage is different. They have a hot and neutral, we have 2 hots.

I bought a voltage regulator that came with a schuko plug with an adaptor for 110v US...It will accept 110 input and 220 inputs. I want to run it off of the 220, so I cut the plu off and am wiring the L630p but don't have the diagram that came with it
its a 3 prong twist lock that I am installing, 3 wires in the cord
yellow/green (ground) blue (neutral) and brown (hot) the plug has 3 terminals - g, x and y

The odd shaped blade is the ground and the outer wires connect on either remaining blades. We use 2 phase hots 220V to ground and 240V phase to phase. Europe uses a single phase 220V to ground..

I have single phase

Single phase is what it's called but it has 2 phases in reality. To each other the 2 wires have 240V. I

ok, so the X and Y can go either way then?

Yes.

Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
good deal, thanks!

Anytime, you're welcome.