Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

We have an old house with 100 amp panel and wire coming to…

Customer Question
We have an old...

We have an old house with 100 amp panel and wire coming to main is at least a#2, but main is only 60 amp. Can i not upgrade to 80 or 100 amp without rewiring and upgrading everything?

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Not long, and weve never had a problem, would just be nice to have more juice.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Probably not a good idea, but i would have fortis cut the power.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No, i just wanted to know if it could be done.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Electrical
1/9/2018
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 4 months ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) A 100 amp service requires either 4 AWG copper or 2 AWG aluminum service entrance conductors. The local electrical utility services wires would also need to be confirmed as to the existing conductor size.

2) The main breaker or main service disconnect would also need to be 100 amps if upgrading to a 100 amp service.

The wires are all heavy enough for 100 amps, but main breaker is only 60 amps.
Can it not be upgraded to 100 amps without upgrading everythonb to current code?

1) Your electrical service consists of 2 separate wires.....ie......the local electrical utility overhead or underground wires as these must be confirmed by the utility if those wires will support a 100 amp service. Next thing is the service entrance wires from the utility demarcation service point as the must either be 4 AWG copper or 2 AWG aluminum. All wires are labeled with the wire size. I don't know what heavy wires mean since you are not telling me the existing wire size?

2) The main breaker will definately require an upgrade to a 100 amp main breaker. If the panel is not rated for 100 amps, it will also require to be upgraded.

Does that answer your questions?

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Kevin
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor