Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I'm interested in utilizing the following in a science

Customer Question
Hi there, I'm interested...

Hi there, I'm interested in utilizing the following vibrator in a science experiment and need to have variable control of the speed and also run off of 110v: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BKVFUJ8/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I1338F86SSB4AR&colid=327IXBBTHRB9D&psc=0

Contractor's Assistant: How long have you had your 110V?

Huh?

Contractor's Assistant: What have you tried so far?

I haven't tried anything. I need to know what kind of devices I will need to connect to the vibrator unit

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Electrical
First time using this service. . . I am needing to be able to plug in the vibrator to 110v AC. It has a SJEOW cable with SAE J-928 two pole connectors. I also need variable control of speed with something as simple as a potentiometer. Ideally the power conversion and speed control would be in one unit.
1/9/2018
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 7 months ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC General Class License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) The motor is a 12 volt DC motor. The link does not contain any electrical specs such as the motor horsepower or full load amperage rating. Therefore, unable to determine the exact components that would be required to vary the speed and provide 120 volt AC power to control the motor.

2) In order to convert the 12 VDC motor to 120 volts AC, you would require a 12 volt rectifier that can support the motor full load amps. You would also need a PWM controller (pulse wave modulation) controller to control the motor speed. A mating SAE J-928 cable would also be required to connect to the 12VDC motor and then interface to the rectifier.

3) Potentiometers or rheostats are not used to control 12 VDC motors due to the motor full load current. PWM controllers are used to control a DC motor speed.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.................Kevin:)