Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I have two light switches in one box, three sets of black…

Customer Question
I have two light...

I have two light switches in one box, three sets of black white and bare wires I can't figure out how to wire them back up right

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Over a month, I get aggravated and give up. Have been using lamps In half the house since the neineighbor disconnected light switches

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I do

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

One switch controls outside light one inside in foyer.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Electrical
1/8/2018
Electrician: Jason, Service Technician replied 6 months ago
Jason
Jason, Service Technician

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer.

One of the black wires should be a feed into the wall box. Do you have any type of electrical tester, for identifying a live wire?

A multimeter

OK, that's perfect. Do you need any assistance with setting the meter up and taking readings?

I don't really know how to use it lol

That's ok. What is the brand and model number of the meter? Or, can you post a photo of it?

Thank you for posting the photo. The second scale from the top on the display, which is black in color, appears to be the Voltage scale. Please turn the knob two clicks to the right, for 250 VAC.

Are you able to post a photo of the wall box as well, with the switches disconnected and all wires shown?

The page keeps kicking me off sorry

No problem. We can do this over the phone as well, but there is an additional charge for that service.