Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I am replacing an electrical outlet that is in series with…

Customer Question
I am replacing an...

I am replacing an electrical outlet that is in series with another outlet and controlled by one switch. Now the lights work but the new switch new longer operates them.

Contractor's Assistant: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?

I have two reds and two blacks on the brass side of the plug and two whites on the silver side

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes I am doing it myself

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Yes I clipped and broke both tabs on the new outlet

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Electrical
1/8/2018
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 3 months ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Receptacles are wired in a parallel fashion and not in series.

2) If the split wired wired receptacle is on the same circuit, only the hot brass tab is removed and the neutral silver tab remains in place.

Ok that is how I did originally and the switch did not control the lights

I'm sorry, but I am not able to make a phone call at this time.

1) You originally mentioned that you removed both tabs on the receptacle, correct?

2) What are the wire colors on the wall switch?

3) Do you have a multimeter to confirm voltages?

4) I assume that you want 1/2 of the duplex to be always live and the other 1/2 to be switched, correct?

Electrician: Leamon Rollo, Electrician replied 3 months ago
Leamon Rollo
Leamon Rollo, Electrician
Make sure the little tab that connects the 2 brass screws together is broken off. Should work then
P.S Dint clip the tab on the silver side. If you did take a small piece of white wire and wrap around the two silver screws to reconnect t them or put another new outlet in with on the brass side broken
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 3 months ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Phone call session started
Electrician: Terry Peterman, Electrician replied 3 months ago
Terry Peterman
Terry Peterman, Electrician

Hello, this is Terry here. There seems to be some confusion and communication issues with this service request. Are you still needing assistance?

Terry Peterman
Terry Peterman
Terry Peterman, Electrician