Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

How do I stop a ceiling fan housing from spinning and

causing a short?...
How do I stop a ceiling fan housing from spinning and causing a short?
1/8/2018
Sam I
Sam I, Electrician

Hello, there should be a groove in the plastic joint of the down rod that has a matching post in the hanging bracket. Do you see anything like this on your fan's down rod?

Nothing visible like that at all. I was recently relocated to Italy. It is an older fan; similar to a ball and socket joint. The plastic "ball" at the top of the downrid simply rests inside the canopy. The canopy is then secured to the mounting bracket

ok, so no little "tooth" on the inside rim of the canopy where the ball rests?

Not at all. It doesn't look like anything has worn down either.
Nope, it is completely smooth.

ok, I have no ideas then. I will opt out and see if another expert does

Thank for your time. I appreciate it.
Thanks for your time.
David Bowden
David Bowden, Electrician

Y​ou will need to remove the trim cover housing near the ceiling and then take a photo so I can see what you have in order to recommend a solution.

I'll get this to you tomorrow. I'm in Italy, and it's late here. Thanks

No worries, when you can.

Greetings… Just following up to see if you were still needing some help answering your question?

Thanks,

Dave

Hello... I was reviewing my open questions and noticed this one has not been replied too, however I did respond with an answer back on January 08, 2017 and therefore I am wondering if that has resolved the problem you were experiencing. I would greatly appreciate a reply email, so I can complete this open question, or just let me know if you need further assistance, and I can continue to look for another solution.

Hello... As part of our continuous follow up procedures, every open question requires it to be closed out once it has gone past a reasonable time, and that the expert has provided an answer that should have helped resolve your question. This can be done simply by completing the 5 Star Rating once it appears. If you still require assistance or have additional questions, you can let the expert know by replying to this posting that you still need their advice and recommendations.

Thank you,

Dave

David Bowden
David Bowden, Electrician

Hello...

I am not sure if you have been receiving my follow up messages regarding this question however, if you would be so kind as to please respond and let me know if the information I provided initially was helpful or if you still require some assistance, I would sincerely ***** ***** that way I can either continue helping you or forward this to customer support for further processing.

Thank you very much,

Dave

I apologize for missing all of your replies. The notifications for this service were disabled on my phone. The situation has been resolved. The tab on the canopy had been worn down so perfectly, that it appeared to have been made that way. I just used some wire cutters and made my own tab. Thank you.

Thanks for the reply and glad you were able to get it resolved. In order to close out the question it requires a rating by you as explained below. If you need future assistance just let me know, happy to help.

One of the goals here at Just Answer, is to provide each customer with the best experience possible and for the experts to earn a 5 Star Rating based on their responses, recommendations, and professionalism, when answering questions. If I have achieved that goal for this question, please take a few moments to rate my service and select the 5 Stars before logging out.

It has been my pleasure providing an answer for you today, however if additional service is needed, please use the reply box to let me know and I will respond back once I have the requested information.

Enjoy the rest of your day,

Dave