Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I have a black and red wire for en electric range. Which is…

Customer Question
I have a black...

I have a black and red wire for en electric range. Which is x and which is y.

Contractor's Assistant: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?

A few years old. Replacing wall outlet.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Just need to know which is X wire and which is Y.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Electrical
1/6/2018
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 6 months ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Are you referring to the house wires which are black and red?

Phone call session started

Ken,

The house red and black wires are inter-changeable for either the "X" or "Y" receptacle terminations. Does not matter which wire terminates to "X" or "Y" since the range is a 240 volt appliance.

Thanks...........Kevin:)