Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I bought an automotive scissor lift Motor came with a short…

I bought an automotive...

I bought an automotive scissor lift Motor came with a short whip with three wires brown blue green and white stripe you’re supposed to get extension cord to plug into wall 115 Extension cord is black white green standard colors how do you match them up

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Extension cord is black white green standard colors how do you match them up on a week now want to use I don’t want to wire wrong

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No just how to match up to three wires

1/6/2018
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

Which wire has the white strip on it?

Motor with has three wires coming out of it one solid blue one solid brown one yellow or the green stripe on how do I matched up to the extension cord extension cord is black white green

Are you sure it is 120V? The wire colors suggest 240V. The colors used are European colors for 220V. Our colors are as you see in the cord. Look at the name plate on the lift motor for verification.

Unit comes prewired 120 can be changed 220 if desired
Nameplate does not tell me which is neutral and ground
Question is Black to blue white or brown green to yellow and green don’t know

If you're sure, connect as follows

1. Black to blue
  2. White to brown
  3. Green to yellow.

Bump motor briefly to check proper connections. One more thing. Having a European motor it probably has a 50hz rating. We use 60hz. The difference may cause a premature motor failure.

Ok I can try that in morning hopefully that will work if it doesn’t I won’t damage will I

That's why I said to bump it. I don't know if it is wired 120V or 220V. European voltage doesn't have 120V. All they use is 220V.

I purchased the unit at North American auto equipment Plainville Massachusetts prices are left if you want to look at the unit better understand
Mid rise scissor lift

My comments are based on wire colors and the differences between European and American wiring and colors. You would have thought that if they wanted to sell equipment in America, they would have complied with our wire colors or have marked the wires for installation information.

Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
No kidding should be so simple ok thanks

Anytime, you're welcome

Mike G.
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician