Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I'm trying to make my fireplace "smart". I have a gas

Customer Question
Hello, I'm trying to make...
Hello, I'm trying to make my fireplace "smart". I have a gas fireplace with a basic wall switch that controls it. I bought a smart switch, have a smart outlet, and a relay, model RIB2401B. I can't simply replace the switch since there's no power to power the switch. I can get power from the smart outlet but not sure how that wires into the relay. Please help!
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Electrical
Attaching an image of the relay and its diagram.I'm willing/capable of running wires through the walls if necessary.The smart outlet is a standard outlet and there's an outlet under the fireplace which makes it easier.The smart switch I have has a neutral/live/live/ground wire.Thanks!
1/5/2018
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 6 months ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

You would be better off using a smart switch on the A/C switch ahead of the unit. If the box has a feed pair and a load pair, you'll have the connections needed.

But the AC switch doesn't have power. All it does is close the circuit. So I can't replace it with a smart switch because the smart switch needs power to power its wifi, etc. Are you saying use the smart switch to close the circuit? Wouldn't that send 120v to my fireplace and break it?

Using a smart switch in. Box having a line voltage pair and a load pair of wires accomplishes the remote control for the fireplace. If you only have a single pole switch and no neutrals it can't be used in that box. Stopping the voltage to the unit is all that need be done. You stated that running wire in the wall was possible, so installing a feed pair to the existing switch is possible.