Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

We have no power in one room of our house all of the sudden.

Customer Question
Hi! We have no...

Hi! We have no power in one room of our house all of the sudden. We just moved in about a month ago. Has been working fine. The circuit/breaker for this room was NOT tripped. I manually turned off and on this breaker as well as the main with no change. Then I manually turned off and on each and every breaker in the house and again with the main breaker; still nothing. It is the outlets, lights and TV all in the one room so I assume it may be a bad circuit breaker (since it didn't trip it) and everything in that room is on one circuit. What else can I do to test if this is the case or if there is something else wrong. House is older, built in 1972, but my mom lived here and never had any electrical issues at all so it's strange that we are having issues right after moving in....Any ideas??

Contractor's Assistant: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?

The house has a maintenance plan, they check it twice per year, and had them come out right when we moved in. They said everything was good.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I am not sure. I am pretty handy but never really done much with electrical. I have a son who builds homes and building from the ground up electrical an all and he is very good at everything but I am just wondering if there are testing tools I could use to pinpoint the problem to see if I need an electrician or not?

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

That's all I can think of. Just that one room is affected and the only thing pulling power in that room is a TV and a small infrared heater and the ceiling lights so it's not like there is a lot of equipment that is pulling a lot of power. I assume it might be the specific circuit breaker to that room but it didn't trip the circuit breaker for that room and resetting it manually made no difference.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Electrical
1/4/2018
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 3 months ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

You have a common problem. If you have a 2 wire voltage tester it would help to identify exactly what it is. Either a hot or a neutral wire connection is bad. To find out where you need to plug in a vacuum cleaner, it being switched on, into a dead outlet. It will act as an audible alert for the next step. Now go to all dead outlets and any working outlets, with anplug from anything, plug in and wiggle the plug side to side. If you hear the vacuum you found where the bad connection is and a repair can be made.

Mike G.
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician