Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I am replacing toggle switches to plates. I'm stuck on my…

Customer Question
I am replacing toggle...

I am replacing toggle switches to plates. I'm stuck on my last light. two - 3 way switches have a black wire bottom left, a black wire top right and a red wire bottom right. Then I have a 4 way with two red wires on left and two black wires on right but light no longer works

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

About 30 min

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I think i'm missing something simple because the lights worked this am before I switched them out and I was very careful to do one side at a time putting the wires in the same places

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Electrical
1/4/2018
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 3 months ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

ok
I prefer text please

Look at the 3 way switches. The red and black entering in the same cable attach to the gold screws. The black from another entry connects to the black screw..

The 4 way switch. Red and black from the same entry connect to screws on one end of switch, the other set red and black to the other end of switch. Reds one side blacks on other

No, on the right side the top screw is gold and connected to a black wire, the bottom screw is black connected to a red wire and on the other side with the unused green ground wire a gold screw connects to a different black wire
both 3 ways are identical. the 4 way has 2 black screws on the left currently attached to red wires and the opposite side as two gold screws currently attached to black wires.

You need to read my answer again. The connections by wire and screw is the only way it will work.

It may be faster and easier by phone, your choice. I'll send the offer.

I think I understand now. I'm gonna try it now. Be back soon. Thanks
Now the first 3 way closest to the light is not hot. The breaker is on. The 2nd 3 way AND the 4 way are both hot and all outlets are wired as directed but light not working and the original 3 way that was working yesterday is not live. I changed that one a few days ago but it was not as you instructed. I needed to switch the black and red wire to meet your instructions.
Any other suggestions? I completed as you instructed but one of the 3 way will not show that it is live. The other 3 way and the 4 way are live but not the 3 way that worked this am. The light still does not work.
Mike G.
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician