Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Can the gfi message on the thermostat possibly be the

Customer Question
Can the gfi...

Can the gfi message on the thermostat possibly be the thermostat fault instead or a floor mat problem? ( I sure hope so!

Contractor's Assistant: Have you talked to a construction professional about the floor?

No. not yet.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If it's just a thermostat replacement yes, but if it's the floor then no.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Again, my question was, could there be a possibility of the thermostat itself to be the culprit, and not a problem in the wiring mat?

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Electrical
1/3/2018
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 4 months ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Do you have a multimeter that can measure Ohms (resistance on the floor mat)?

1) Is the floor mat a 120 volt or a 240 volt system?

I have a Multimeter and I believe it is 240 v.

Thanks for confirming.

1) Kill power to the branch circuit breaker and temporarily disconnect the LINE and LOAD wires from the T-Stat.

2) Set your meter to measure resistance (Ohm setting). If a 240 volt system, place 1 meter lead to one of the hot wires and the 2nd meter lead to the other hot wire. You should be able to read and measure resistance here. If able to measure resistance, that is a good reading.

3) Next step is to repeat the same process and measure resistance from each of the hot wires to the ground wire. There should be 0 Ohms here. If greater than 0 Ohms from each hot to ground, then there is a ground fault present in the floor mat conductors.

4) If the floor mat resistance values all measure OK, then most likely an issue with the T-Stat.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Kevin
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor