Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

I have 2 Hunter ceiling fans with lights. The light sockets…

Customer Question
I have 2 Hunter...

I have 2 Hunter ceiling fans with lights. The light sockets are POS.... I have replaced both with Hunter replacement parts and have the same issue.

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

3 to 4 years.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The light sockets themselves are the problem, and need to be replaced. This is not an "unscrew and replace" type of job.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Electrical
1/2/2018
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 1 month ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

What are they doing or not doing exactly?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The lights burn out prematurely and when I replace them, the new bulb does not work. The other bulbs will work for a while.
That is why I say the sockets are bad.

What is the orientation of the lamps. If they are screw up and the shade don't allow for the heat to escape, they fail due to a separation of the screw base from the glass. The gas is lost and the fillament burns out. I've found that using a better quality lamp or even an LED should correct the issue. In rare cases the heat may fail the lamp holder or its wire connections.

Mike G.
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician