Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I have a circuit that supports my spinkler control box and…

Customer Question
I have a circuit...

I have a circuit that supports my spinkler control box and the the television cable ups source. The system keeps tripping the gfci from time to time, but upon resettting the gfci, it last a day or so without tripping. If the amp is 15, can i change to a 20 amp gfci without any fire rist etc.?

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

For about two months

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If possible. The cable lprovider changed their ups wiring (something about a 7), and also the gfci the items are plugged into. However there are two other outlets (gfci), on on the porch and one in the garage. I normally reset the one in the garage and everything start woking again, until the nexe tripping, hours later or a day later.

Contractor's Assistant: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?

12 years old for the gfci in the garage and porch. Have not consulted with an electrician. I am trying to see if there is a solution prior to commiting to an electrician.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

That is it. There are four tvs, and one printer riding on the cable source. The tripping is noticeable because the cable goes out once the gfci
gets tripped.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Electrical
1/2/2018
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 6 months ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) If the circuit is a 15 amp and wanting to change the GFCI to a 20 amp, the circuit wires need to be 12 AWG copper and not 14 AWG copper. 14 AWG copper is rated for a maximum of 15 amps. A 20 amp GFCI needs to reside on a 20 amp circuit breaker using 12 AWG copper conductors.

2) Un-plug all loads that are plugged into the GFCI. Also, temporarily remove the LOAD wires from the GFCI. If the GFCI does not trip under a no load condition", then the problem resides with one of the plugged-in or connected loads. Damp and/or wet conditions will also cause a GFCI to trip.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Does that help to answer your question?