Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I was looking for advice. I am based in the UK and wishing…

Customer Question
Hello,I was looking for advice...
Hello,I was looking for advice. I am based in the UK and wishing to have at least one 32A Commando Plug installed in my internal garage. Ideally several 32A plugs for charging electric vehicles and running some electrical equipment depending if this is possible. Will I require a line digging from the main road to my house, will my house be even able to handle charging 2 electric vehicles at the same time etc.Hoping I can have a conversation around this and ballpark figures as to installation costs.Thank you,Alex
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Electrical
Answered in 1 day by:
1/4/2018
Electrician: Tyler Bosch,
 replied 4 months ago
Tyler Bosch
Hello and welcome to JA.
I'm unfamiliar with the code rules in the UK, but I see you have been waiting a while, so I will help you out as best I can.
The math should work out either way.
In Canada we would need a bit more info before deciding whether or not your current service can handle the additional charging outlets.
- Amperage of your main panel.
- Size of any loads over 1500W including electric heat (listed seperately)
- Approximate square footage of house
Hi Tyler,Thanks for the reply.A UK home typically has a 60 to 100 Amp supply fuse as far as I know. I assume that's split between plug sockets and lights etc?Am I right in thinking that something could be installed, but the potential maximum draw would have to be within this amperage of the supply from the street to the property?I was looking online, and I think that my requirements may likely exceed this and I will have to get my electricity supply upgraded:http://www.ukpowernetworks.co.uk/internet/en/our-services/upgrade-supply-home/This seems to show that I'd need a road digging up and power lines installed from the street.Have you installed/know anyone who has installed car charging ports - what were the requirements?Also I'm wondering if there is a maximum allowed electricity supply to a home, to the best of your knowledge? E.G I can't take more than X% of the electricity supply available on my street?Just wondering what the process would be and then rough costs for installation. I know it varies greatly, but is this a £500 job or a £10,000 installation/parts job?
Electrician: Tyler Bosch,
 replied 4 months ago
HI sorry for the delay.
So that link sounds fairly accurate as far as the process and general upgrade costs. Any time you have to involve a municipal power company to trench new lines, you're going to pay... and not just a little. In fact I've never passed on the costs to a customer and had them go forward with it.
I would imagine that yes, there would be a power allowance based on the zoning of your particular residential area.
You should be able to find out easily enough by calling your local electrical supple authority.
That being said, there is nothing that says you can't add a charger plug to your current supply... at least not in North American codes. The only issue is possible nuisance tripping on your main breaker (or fuse if that is what you are using as an overcurrent device). Without knowing a bit about the loads in your residence, it is hard to say how likely that would be.
Perhaps you can attach a picture of your electrical panel, so I can get a rough idea.
Either way, in this situation, I would suggest going forward and adding the charging outlet. The cost of a 30 amp circuit is pretty negligible and the likelyhood of tripping your main is low... especially if you're mostly charging at night.
Tyler Bosch
Tyler Bosch
Tyler Bosch