Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Need help replacing an old 3 switch(despard?) that controls…

Customer Question
Need help replacing an old...
Need help replacing an old 3 switch(despard?) that controls light, fan, heater combo unit with the newer style triple switch.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Electrical
1/1/2018
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 6 months ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

OK, how can I help you?

this is my first time using the site, I'm not in a huge hurry so I'm going to see if we can work with the amount I already paid.

In most units having a heater it has a separate circuit. To verify, tell me the number of wires on the old switch.

Too hard to see the connections.

Are the wires white and black with plastic insulation on the heater switch?

only one white wire in the top(light) switch. all other wires are black

The wires are all bunched up and I tell much from the pictures. You'll need to have a voltage tester and with the wires removed from the old switch you'll need to test for hot wires and when identified, touch to the others in order to determine which are for the functions.

To let you know why I'm asking for the info, it's because of the heater. If the switch you want to install only has one black screw, it is for only one circuit. Having a heater your fan unit may require a separate isolated switch for the heater. The old switch can be wired for that purpose. Having the ability for a separate heater switch would mean that you need a Cooper TM8111 switch.

I'm not comfortable taking the whole thing apart only to find out that I don't have what I need.

Sorry that you feel that way.. Can you tell me how many wires from the box are attached?