Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Circuit breaker blew switch. Switch is not resetting. Just…

Circuit breaker blew switch. Switch...
Circuit breaker blew switch. Switch is not resetting. Just kinda dangles there, with no tension to either side. How can I fix this?
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/31/2017
Sam I
Sam I, Electrician

hello, you have tried moving the switch all the way to OFF then to ON?

That's what I'm saying: No tension.

ok, well it sounds like the breaker went bad. What brand are your panel and breakers?

Video...

ok, You would have to replace the whole, double switch breaker (tandem) with a new one. The whole panel would have to but shut down to do this safely. They do sell the tandem breakers at Home Depot, Lowes, etc. I can get you a link. The brand is Square D and it is a type QO style breaker

Ok. Please send me a link. Thanks.And how do I shut down the whole panel?
Cool. Thanks! And how do I pull out and replace the whole, double switch breaker (tandem) with a new one?

There should be a main breaker that turns off the panel either at a main panel or near the electrical service meter. If the main breaker is inside the panel you are working on, just be aware that there is still power on the side where the feed wires enter the breaker.

After the panel is shut down you would remove the panel cover, disconnect the wires from the breaker, pull the breaker out of the panel, then install new breaker and connect old wires to it.

Thank you, ***** *****'ll probably have to wait until the 2nd, at which time I should be awarding you an excellent rating.

ok, be careful. If you are unsure about anything, please call in someone familiar with this kind of work. Better to spend a bit more money than get injured or killed.

Sam I
Sam I, Electrician

Hello, did you get this replaced?