Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I would like to have an electrical switch control an

I would like to...

I would like to have an electrical switch control an exterior LED lamp in such a way that for it ON set to have that lamp functioning, while for its 'OFF' to have the lamp be conditioned by a movement sensor

Contractor's Assistant: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?

I have the electrical scheme setu up - my question is regarding the feedback current that would go back to the sensor in the case the lamp is turned on directly

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

It is a new system that I am putting up. THere is a electrical socket and old lamp that I am replacing Yes> No electrician consulted yet

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

That is preatty much all of it - I have the right cables (1,5 mm) , switche etc

Hi,have added a picture to describe the electrical scheme.
- Question is for connection point (1): when the left switch will connect the LED directly, will the phase L current affect negatively (destroy) the motion sensor due to it receiving the current on its A connector?
- Second question: when the left switch wil lconnect the sensor electrically, will there be a problem when the sensor A connecttor will have the phase available on the left switch ?
have added a picture to describe the electrical scheme.- Question one for connection point (1): when the left switch will connect the LED directly, will the phase L current affect negatively (destroy) the motion sensor due to it receiving the current on its A connector?
- Question two: when the left switch wil lconnect the sensor electrically, will there be a problem when the sensor A connecttor will have the phase available on the left switch second outgoing connector?
have added a picture to describe the electrical scheme.- Question one for connection point (1): when the left switch will connect the LED directly, will the phase L current affect negatively (destroy) the motion sensor due to it receiving the current on its A connector?- Question two: when the left switch wil lconnect the sensor electrically, will there be a problem when the sensor A connecttor will have the phase available on the left switch second outgoing connector?
have added a picture to describe the electrical scheme.- Question one for connection point (1): when the left switch will connect the LED directly, will the phase L current affect negatively (destroy) the motion sensor due to it receiving the current on its A connector?- Question two: when the left switch will connect the sensor electrically, will there be a problem when the sensor A connecttor will have the phase available on the left switch second outgoing connector?
have added a picture to describe the electrical scheme.- Question one for connection point (1): when the left switch will connect the LED directly, will the phase L current affect negatively (destroy) the motion sensor due to it receiving the current on its A connector?- Question two: when the left switch will connect the sensor electrically, will there be a problem when the sensor A connector will put the phase on the left switch second outgoing connector?
have added a picture to describe the electrical scheme.- Question one for connection point (1): when the left switch will connect the LED directly, will the phase L current adversely affect (destroy) the motion sensor due to it receiving the current on its A connector (z)?- Question two: when the left switch will connect the sensor electrically, will there be a problem when the sensor A connector (z) will put the phase on the left switch second outgoing connector (x)? This will have this power switch to have the phase on all its three connectors.
have added a picture to describe the electrical scheme.- Question one: regarding the connection point (1): when the left switch will connect the LED directly, will the phase L current adversely affect (destroy) the motion sensor due to it receiving the current on its A connector (z)?- Question two: when the left switch will connect the sensor electrically, will there be a problem when the sensor A connector (z) will put the phase on the left switch second outgoing connector (x)? This will have this power switch to have the phase on all its three connectors.
have added a picture to describe the electrical scheme.- Question one: regarding the connection point (1): when the left switch will connect the LED directly, will the phase L current adversely affect (destroy) the motion sensor due to it receiving the current on its A connector (z)?Motion detector: https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B008B77TQW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1- Question two: when the left switch will connect the sensor electrically, will there be a problem when the sensor A connector (z) will put the phase on the left switch second outgoing connector (x)? This will have this power switch to have the phase on all its three connectors.
have added a picture to describe the electrical scheme.- Question one: regarding the connection point (1): when the left switch will connect the LED directly, will the phase L current adversely affect (destroy) the motion sensor due to it receiving the current on its A connector (z)?Motion detector: https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B008B77TQW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1- Question two: when the left switch will connect the sensor electrically, will there be a problem when the sensor A connector (z) will put the phase on the left switch second outgoing connector (x)? This will have this power switch have the phase on all its three connectors.
have added a picture to describe the electrical scheme.- Question one: regarding the connection point (1): when the left switch will connect the LED directly, will the phase L current adversely affect (destroy) the motion sensor due to it receiving the current on its A connector (z)?Motion detector: https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B008B77TQW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1- Question two: when the left switch will connect the sensor electrically, will there be a problem when the sensor A connector (z) will put the phase on the left switch second outgoing connector (x)? This will make this power switch have the phase on all its three connectors.
have added a picture to describe the electrical scheme.- Question one: regarding the connection point (1): when the left switch will connect the LED directly, will the phase L current adversely affect (destroy) the motion sensor due to it receiving the current on its A connector (z)?Motion detector: https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B008B77TQW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1- Question two: when the left switch will connect the sensor electrically, will there be a problem when the sensor A connector (z) will put the phase on the left switch second outgoing connector (x)? This will have the effect for this left power switch to receive the phase on all its three connectors.
have added a picture to describe the electrical scheme.- Question one: regarding the connection point (1): when the left switch will connect the LED directly, will the phase L current adversely affect (destroy) the motion sensor due to it receiving the current on its A connector (z)?Motion detector: https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B008B77TQW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1- Question two: when the left switch will connect the sensor electrically, will there be a problem when the sensor A connector (z) will put the phase on the left switch second outgoing connector (x)? This will have the effect, for this left power switch, to receive the phase on all its three connectors.
have added a picture to describe the electrical scheme.- Question one: regarding the connection point (1): when the left switch will connect the LED directly, will the phase L current adversely affect (destroy) the motion sensor due to it receiving the current on its A connector (z)?Motion detector: https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B008B77TQW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1- Question two: when the left switch will connect the sensor electrically, will there be a problem when the sensor A connector (z) will put the phase on the left switch second outgoing connector (x)? This will have the effect, for this left power switch, to receive the phase on all its three connectors.For both questions above, I was thinking on using some form of diodes that would allow the AC 220 V current to go only 1 way. One diode will connect to point z, the other on point x.
have added a picture to describe the electrical scheme.The general idea/purpose for it is to allow a power switch (the left one) be able to:
- in one position: light the LED lamp directly,
- the second position: let the LED lamp be lighten if the motion sensor allows it.
We can ignore the right switch.- Question one: regarding the connection point (1): when the left switch will connect the LED directly, will the phase L current adversely affect (destroy) the motion sensor due to it receiving the current on its A connector (z)?Motion detector: https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B008B77TQW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1- Question two: when the left switch will connect the sensor electrically, will there be a problem when the sensor A connector (z) will put the phase on the left switch second outgoing connector (x)? This will have the effect, for this left power switch, to receive the phase on all its three connectors.For both questions above, I was thinking on using some form of diodes that would allow the AC 220 V current to go only 1 way. One diode will connect to point z, the other on point x.
have added a picture to describe the electrical scheme.The general idea/purpose for it is to allow just one power switch (the left one on the JPG) to be able to:
- in one/"ON" position: light the LED lamp directly,
- the second/"OFF" position: let the LED lamp be lighten if the motion sensor allows it.
We can ignore the right power switch from the picture.- Question one: regarding the connection point (1): when the left switch will connect the LED directly, will the phase L current adversely affect (destroy) the motion sensor due to it receiving the current on its A connector (z)?Motion detector: https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B008B77TQW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1- Question two: when the left switch will connect the sensor electrically, will there be a problem when the sensor A connector (z) will put the phase on the left switch second outgoing connector (x)? This will have the effect, for this left power switch, to receive the phase on all its three connectors.For both questions above, I was thinking on using some form of diodes that would allow the AC 220 V current to go only 1 way. One diode will connect to point z, the other on point x.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
12/31/2017
Sam I
Sam I, Electrician

Hello, I have reviewed your diagram and it will work fine with no harm to the sensor. I have done this previously with other sensors. There is no issue of concern when the left switch is in either position. As far as diodes go, they are not effective for AC voltage.

Sam I
Sam I, Electrician
Thank you for confirmation. I will proceed with the installation.

You're welcome. Good luck and stay safe!

I'm sorry I wasn't able to provide you with an acceptable answer that you felt deserved payment.

Sam I
Sam I
Sam I, Electrician