Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Replaced PR180 with new one. Still will not work in auto…

Customer Question
Replaced PR180 with new...

Replaced PR180 with new one. Still will not work in auto mode. On mode works fine. I have incandescents in. This is tied in with a single pole switch.

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Put the new pr180 in oday, tried to get it working much of the day

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

That is all

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Electrical
12/30/2017
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 3 months ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

ok
no call needed

Have you attempted to set the adjustments for sensitivity and time?

i have set both in every position and combination possible

You know that when in auto mode, you have to vacate the room otherwise it will stay on.

problem is getting it to come on, not having it shut off. Does not seem to recognize motion when in auto. Switch work fine in "on" position.
What I mean is that I do not have a problem with the light not shutting off. I can't get it to come on at all in "auto" position. Green LED does not come on when making motion in front of the sensor in "auto" position.

Did you test the wires before connecting it? The black is the hot and the red is the switched hot.

will it hurt anything if I just try to swap them?
I just connected to the wires same as the previously installed PR180 I replaced

I can only say what the instructions state. What type of light is it controlling?

regular incandescent fixture with 75W incandescent bulb

Very good. Isn't compatible with fluorescent or LED's.

If I switch the black and red wires, is there any chance of harming the switch?

I suggest testing each box wire for voltage to determine which connects to the black wire.

I dont have a voltage tester. Can I just try to shut off the breaker and switch the 2 wires?
keep in mind the light works fine now when the PR180 is in the "on" position, just not when in "auto".

Go ahead. At worst it will not hurt anything but it may correct the issue.

I understand the on/off is nothing more than a switch. The auto is a circuit board that electronically determines sensitivity and time.

works the same either way I wire it. Black-Black or Red-black. Still works in "on"position, but not in "auto"

I can only suspect a defective device. You have adjusted it fully in both directions and the reaction is the same. Working on and off indicates the circuit is working. Return it. The junk made in China has poor quality control

On more thing. Did you have the ground wire connected?

ground connected, thanks

That covers everything. Bad device.

Mike G.
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician