Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Gfci outlet green/red light is not on. Breaker is on.

Customer Question
Gfci outlet green/red light...

Gfci outlet green/red light is not on. Breaker is on. Another gfci outlet has green light. no power for any of the outlets on the line. Some gfci, some not.

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Just today

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Attempting. may hit a point where I need electrician

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Accidentally had 2 space heaters on the line today when issue started. Breaker never popped.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Electrical
12/30/2017
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 4 months ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Do the GFCI's reside on 2 different circuits or both on the same circuit?

2) Do you have a 2 wire lead AC voltage tester (a contact type) or a multimeter to check voltages at the GFCI's?

3) Are the GFCI's able to test trip and reset OK or do they keep tripping when resetting?

1) Have you turned the breaker to the OFF position and then back to the ON position?

1) FYI.....it is always recommended that space heaters reside on a dedicated circuit in order to prevent against a circuit overload.

turned breaker on and off multiple times. gfci are on same cicuit. I have a light up voltage tester, not multimeter. Do not seem to be tripping. One gfci has green light. the other gfci is not lit. thought space heaters were on separate circuits.

Thanks for the replies.

1) 1st off, you don't require multiple GFCI's on the same circuit. An upstream GFCI receptacle will provide GFCI protection to all downstream regular duplex receptacles that are wired to the GFCI LOAD side. Waste of money $$ to have multiple GFCI's on the same circuit.

2) If your tester does not contain 2 wire leads, it won't work. Sounds like you have a non-contact tester. You need a 2 wire lead AC voltage tester or preferably a multimeter to troubleshoot the problem. The problem needs to be isolated and voltage measurements need to be taken on the circuit. Without a meter, it becomes a guessing game as to the location of the problem. About the only thing that you can do without a meter is to perform a visual inspection at each receptacle and look for loose wires or faulty wire splices.

3) You can also try the Wiggle Procedure shown below. Sometimes this works and other times it may not work. All depends upon how loose wires are.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Any other questions?

1) In addition, space heaters should always reside on dedicated circuits to avoid an overload.

Kevin
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor